Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

2 questions about ESA S.D.P.

Regarding ESA Severe Disability Premium -
1. Is this specific premium component means tested?  (ESA is means tested.  I just wondered about the S.D.P.)
2. After State pension age, do I continue to receive it?
Thanks a lot for any comments.


  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ESABenefitsUK123, the SPD component is given if you have one of the following:

    Severe disability premium

    You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, and one of the following qualifying benefits:
    • PIP daily living component
    • AFIP
    • DLA care component at the middle or highest rate
    • Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)
    If you continue to qualify for these benefits then it continues to be given after state pension age.

    I hope this helps. :)
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes, if you qualify then it's paid through pension credit.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.