Disclosing Disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disclosing Disability

Options
the_velvet_girl
the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
I've recently started applying for new jobs and have a quick question. Do you legally have to disclose a disability to Occupational Health? 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No that is up to you. I did not tell my employer I was dyscalculic at first. Even if you have autism or DS, the decision should be left up to you. But I strongly recommend you telling at least one person who will understand. Good luck! 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If when filling in the employers application form if there is no direct questions asking you about your health issues, problems ect. Then I would say no. But the application form may have a space for adding additional information about your self so here you should give details about your abilities reference to your illnesses or disability, I’m a wheel chair user, hearing problems bladder problems need to be close to toilets, need to physio throughout the day  10/ 15 minutes slots.being honest goes a long way. Plus can you find out about the companies, employers policy, workplace layout reference to wheel chair users.
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm concerned if I don't disclose my disability in an Occupational Health form, Could I get in to trouble for non disclosure when I actually start my job and people notice my ataxic gate pattern?  I've had a job offer with drawn by Occupational Health in the past so I'd rather not disclose my disability to them when I apply for new jobs.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @the_velvet_girl, this is completely your choice. But there are pros and cons to doing so. This also would depend on the job you have. For example, you'd have to disclose a visual impairment if you were going to be driving.

I hope the information below will be useful.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do and please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.