Esa-groups — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


So i went for the capability for work assessment 2 weeks ago today so I am waiting on the group they have put me in. My main question is can you appeal the group they put you in? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes, any decision can be appealed and the first step to this is by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration within 1 month of the date of the decision. Of course if you're placed in the Support Group there will be no need to to anything because this is the highest group.

    Ring ESA to request a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. If you haven't already done this, when you ring tomorrow regarding your sick note, request it then.
  • kami24
    kami24 Member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Thankyou poppy, hopefully I will get my sick note tomorrow anyway so I'll deal with that situation first 
  • kami24
    kami24 Member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Its all sorted now poppy thankyou for the advice. I am in the support group it says on letter i received yesterday so do i need to show this to anyone? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news. You don't need to show it to anyone and you don't need anymore sick notes. You'll also receive an extra £55.35 per week, from the 14th week of your claim. If you've been waiting longer than this for the decision then you'll be backdated any money owed.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great news @kami24, thank you for updating us!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.