Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Has Your GP Refused To Help With Benefits Claims?
This information is from Disability Sheffield.
Campaigning organisation Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC) has launched an investigation into why some doctors are refusing to help their patients by writing letters to support their disability benefits claims.
A statement issued by the national group says: “We have had a number of people contacting us recently saying that they have asked their doctor to write a letter stating that they need a home visit for a benefit assessment and the doctor has refused. Others have told us that their GP has refused to issue them with a Fit Note for Employment Support Allowance claims. We are very concerned about this, and we want to make representations to the Royal College of GPs and other medical professional bodies about it. “But to do that we need evidence of how widespread a problem this “
Doctors issue fit notes to people to provide evidence of the advice they have given about their fitness for work. They record details of the functional effects of their patient’s condition so the patient and their employer can consider ways to help them return to work.
If a doctor has refused to write a letter for you, or refused to issue you a Fit Note, or has even complained about having to do it, DPAC would like to hear from you by emailing [email protected]
Senior online community officer
- 55.4K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 844 Work and employment
- 601 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 305 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 270 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.4K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.9K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 709 Chronic pain and pain management
- 720 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 953 Mental health and wellbeing
- 315 Sensory impairments