ME and Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ME and Fibromyalgia

Options
kate1966
kate1966 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I was officially diagnosed with ME over 8 years ago, but was told I had suffered with it since my early 20's and had accidentally managed my condition, a series of inoculations knocked me off my feet and I was ill for a year, taking 6 months of tests to finally diagnose me.  Since then my health has fluctuated from day to day and week to week, I have tried to continue working, had breaks and then returned to work for 6 to 12 months stints, but I find all my energy either goes into work and then there is nothing left for those at home or when I am not working and at home, I feel bereft for the career I should have, worry about my lack of income and get quite depressed.  

In my experience the quality of part-time work and understanding employers in my area is not very good, and I have both been honest about my condition and kept it secret, the former not offering any more support than if I was fighting fit and the latter causes stress and anxiety every time I am having an off week or get hit with another flair up.  I have never thought of myself as disabled, unless trying to navigate the escalator on a bad day, and when standing in a queue for more than 5 minutes brings to me to tears due to the pain in my neck, back and legs, so don't know if I am in the right place, I suppose that's because I am a mild to moderate sufferer.

Being an experienced Personal Assistant and Secretary for many years, I find the brain fog and memory issues make it hard to do a full time job anymore and the thought of trying actually scares me as I have had my share of bullying bosses over the years, but taking a lower level job is equally challenging for its own reasons.  Now at the age of 53 and going through the menopause on top of everything else, I find myself yet again at the out of work stage having just finished a 15 hour a week part-time job as they can no longer afford my wages, a favour from a self employed friend.  I am again looking for something part-time, but there is not a lot out there and most things are more physical than I can manage.  Having never claimed any benefits I don't know what benefits, if any I would be able to claim and have no idea where to start.  It has taken me weeks to just start investigating as I find it quite daunting.  Sorry to babble on, another symptom especially when I am anxious, any advice would be much appreciated if you are in or have been in a similar situation.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.