Employment and the work environment.
At present I am an Assistant SENCo in a mainstream secondary school working with pupils who have a life limiting conditions and disabilities. Last year when coordinating the support for Yr10 work experience it became very apparent that navigating the working world with a disability can prove to be very challenging.
I am also studying at present and am due to start my dissertation in the coming weeks. I hope to focus my studies on how accessible companies are and if they make the "reasonable adjustments" that they are expected to through the Equality Act 2010. My aim is to provide better opportunities for the pupils I work with and potentially others in the wider world.
For now my focus is to find companies that have been supportive of employee’s different abilities and making the required adaptations for those abilities to really shine. If you have had an experience of a particular company or organisation and feel comfortable to share, please do!
Thank you in advance, any input is greatly appreciated.
- 54.1K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5.1K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 156 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 797 Work and employment
- 589 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 292 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.7K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 688 Chronic pain and pain management
- 707 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 938 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments