Stairs

Auroraluna
Auroraluna Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello I’m really hoping that people will be able to help.
My father in law is virtually stuck in one upstairs room of his house. It’s a long story but I’ll skip past that.
We need to get him out of the house for a very close relatives funeral and are not sure how we can make that happen. The stairs couldn’t accommodate a stair lift, and I’ve heard that stair climbers aren’t easy to use for the handler. He doesn’t have a professional carer, it would be family members using it. They would also need something to get him down quite steep steps as the house sits quite high above the road level.
The funeral is in 2 weeks 
Thank you for reading and I hope you have some ideas 
Many thanks 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,865 Championing
    Does he use a wheelchair or not? Where is the funeral being held? 

After doing some research I found this company https://greenscarriages.com/disability-vehicles/. Give them a call tomorrow to see if they can assist you. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,879 Championing
    Hi @Auroraluna and welcome to the community! Firstly, you do not need to tell us where the funeral is behind held. But this does sound like a complex situation! Does he have a Occupational Therapist at all?
  • Chloe_Alumni
    Chloe_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 10,510 Championing
    Hi @Auroraluna and a warm welcome to the community. I too would recommend contacting an occupational therapist. Does he have a support worker or anyone who manages his care?

I appreciate how important it is for him to attend the funeral. It also might be worth looking at more long term solutions to see if there is anyway of your father-in-law being able to move around the house more freely.

Please do keep us updated. :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,604 Championing
    How are you getting on @Auroraluna ?