Bank Accounts,Funeral Care & Life insurances — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Bank Accounts,Funeral Care & Life insurances

MLewis Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there, I have an autistic adult son I care for & am having difficulty with finding a good understanding bank, a funeral care plan & suitable life insurance for him. Does anyone have good experiences or reviews about relevant companies please? Any advice greatly appreciated. 


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @MLewis, I hope people are able to share their experiences with you soon!

  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, I am sure every bank will should have a person or persons trained in dealing with customers who require the help and advice you need and require, our you your sons appointed power of attorney? If so this should will not be a problem.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected
    Hello @MLewis

    I'm sure your bank can help you. If not you can always switch to Lloyds Bank, they are pretty good at dealing with autistic people. Have you appointed a POA for your son yet or not? 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MLewis
    The National Autistic Society has partnered with Lloyds Banking Group in the past. Lloyds Bank say:""

    "You can take the time you need to be confident about doing your banking in a branch. We're happy to make a longer appointment for you if you'd like one. Call us or ask a branch colleague and we will arrange this for you.

    If you have a support worker, they can come to your appointment too. We will always try to meet you in a private and quiet place if you prefer."

    But all banks should be accommodating to all disabled people so it may be worth calling the bank of your choice and ask them what support they can offer you and your son.

    The National Autistic Society (NAS) say:

    "Under the Equality Act 2010, or the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 in Northern Ireland, banks and other finance companies mustn’t discriminate against anyone on the grounds of disability or treat people with disabilities less favourably because of their disability. They must also make 'reasonable adjustments' for people with disabilities.

    This means that they have a duty to change any practice, policy or procedure that makes it difficult for autistic people to use their services.

    Talk to your bank or service provider about how they can help you. If they can’t or refuse to, contact the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) or the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland for advice.

    Some autistic people feel they need additional support in managing their money. Find out how someone else could manage your affairs in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, and about mental capacity."

    The NAS have a whole section on managing money for autistic adults that might be worth you looking through with your son.

    I hope this helps :) 

    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.