Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Fit notes

jeannajeanna Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit
Can a work coach tell you your sick note is not worth the paper it's written on. My friends gp has been signing him off sick for approx the last year with depression & severe back pain. Was assessed & told he was fit for work. Was to depressed at time to appeal. He has since had a tia (mini stroke). Gp told him 2 weeks ago he is definitely not fit for work. His work coach threw his fit note back at him. She never even noted it as seen. 
Any help you can give will be appreciated. 
Jeanna

Replies

• April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    Hello @jeanna. Welcome to Scope! 

Call and ask for a new work coach. She sounds unprofessional. This is odd and quite frankly she should not be doing her job. Ask CAB for advice on your legal rights too. They might be able to offer advice on finding work as well. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately the sick note doesn't automatically qualify you for limited capability for work.

May i ask when the decision was made on the work capability assessment?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

Hello @jeanna
    If he has reported it on his Universal Credit account, she has to take it or note it has been seen. Has he reported a change in health condition since the stroke?
    Unfortunately, having a fit note doesn't exempt you from work commitments but the work coach should take the claimant's individual situation into account. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.