MS sufferer - advice on housing — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

MS sufferer - advice on housing

SteveWilson Member Posts: 3 Listener
hello. I have PPMS and I would like some advise on housing. I am 55 and live in my aunts house as she had to go into a care home with Alzheimer’s. The family will need to sell her house to pay for the care home, which will leave me homeless. I can’t privately rent because I can’t work. What can I do.


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,572

    Scope community team

    Hi @SteveWilson, can I ask what benefits you're currently claiming?
    It can be difficult to get housed while on benefits, but not impossible.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected
    Hello @SteveWilson

    Have you applied for social housing or not? This is something to discuss with your local council. Call them up tomorrow to ask. For more information please take a look at this guide on social housing.

    I hope this is helpful! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,627 Disability Gamechanger

    It will be extremely difficult to be given a house from social housing because the waiting lists are many years long for most of the areas in the UK. If you're single then this will also go against you.

    Your best option will be to find somewhere privately to rent. If you can answer Adrian's question then someone will be able to help you further.
  • SteveWilson
    SteveWilson Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Adrian, I am claiming universal credit. I will find it difficult to rent privately as I don’t work. DWP have told me they feel I am not required to work. I am waiting for my PIP decision. Thank you for your response.
  • charlie79
    charlie79 Member Posts: 239 Pioneering
    I know when I was homeless I had a list given to me by lambeth council with agencies landlords who accepted benefits. In 2017 I was housed by private landlord through the council as I was vulnerable. I don't know what the guidelines are for vulnerabilities and where it applies in there protocol. Also the housing crisis has got worse so I don't know if this would still apply. I was in simular situation staying with 2 friends who are like family but they had to sell house and couldn't accommodate me. I had to have a letter from them for council saying  they would not be able to home from such and such time. I don't know if diffent authorities differ but I would try shelter. 
  • SteveWilson
    SteveWilson Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your response and advice
  • charlie79
    charlie79 Member Posts: 239 Pioneering
    Good luck I hope it is of some use. If you suffer from mental health as well depression anxiety ect you can ask your doctor to refer you to CMHT where you will be allocated a support worker who can visit you in your home and help with your issue that's what I had. 
  • charlie79
    charlie79 Member Posts: 239 Pioneering
    I have a flat but I was very lucky as my mental and physical meant I needed my own front door which my doctor and proffresional provided lots of evidence. It depends if you need a spare bedroom for medical reasons but they are putting couples and children in one bedroom flats and mothers with newborns in bedsits. I would think you are most likely to be offered a studio flat but I don't know the extent of physical and mental health. If I am right I they will be able to give you temporary accommodation until a solution is found. I am not a hundred percent but as I believe from January this year every local authority has an obligation to help the vulnerable and homeless with accommodation of some sort hostel temporary housing ect. How correct this information is I'm not a 100% certain. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.