Pip home interview — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip home interview

Options
sallyjac01
sallyjac01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm already in receipt of Pip and have been for 5 years due to having Fibromyalgia, Hypermobility Syndrome, IBS to name a few. I was diagnosed with Triple negative Breast Cancer in May this year and  have been having chemotherapy every week for the past 10 weeks. I rang the dwp and advised them of my change of circus and they sent a full 40 page claim form out to me. There is no way I can do this form in my condition and treatment that I am having. I told them that I didnt wish to include my recent diagnosis into my claim as it was too stressful to think about whilst undergoing treatment.
However I've just received a letter telling me that an assessor will be calling at my home on Sunday this week  between 9.00 - 11.00 am . This is out of the blue and  as I have been trying to keep my stress levels down as this does not help with my chemo treatment I'm now extremely stressed out. Do I have to allow them in or can I just say I do not wish my breast cancer to be included or considered. 
I would rather cope on the level I'm on rather than have to go through and talk about how dreadful iam feeling and coping to a complete stranger in my own home which is my only peaceful place at the moment.
What can or should I do ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Options
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, because you rang and reported a change of circumstances with the diagnosis then this will have prompted them to send more forms. You should always be cautious when reporting a change, even for a diagnosis.

I'm afraid you will have to go through with the assessment, if you don't then your PIP could stop. If the date isn't suitable then you can change it once but the next one you will have to attend. 

Do you have someone that can be with you during the assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sallyjac01
    sallyjac01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for replying.  My sister attends all of my chemo appts with me and types up a record of what's happening and advised so she has said she will be here with me.
    I dont think its realised how awful it is to have to relive over and over the trauma you are having to go through.

Thanks
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @sallyjac01,

I am sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time.
    Have you had any contact with Macmillan? They may be able to give you some tips about the assessment. Their helpline number is 0808 808 0000. They also give grants if you are struggling financially.
    Hope it goes OK on Sunday, let us know how you get on.
    Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.