Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Arr! It be Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Ahoy me hearties! International Talk Like a Pirate Day be upon us and in the spirit of things, we’ve climbed the rigging, manned the crow’s nest and set course across the Seven Seas for the best nautical natter to let you landlubbers arrrtfully parley your way past this most treasured of days.
Glossary of terms:
Ahoy! – Hello there
Aye! – Yes, or I concur
Arr! – Interjection to express excitement. Variations may include ‘Yarr!’ (a positive interjection) or ‘Harr!’ (an expression of amusement).
Belay – Stop
Booty! – Something of great value
Coffer – Where you keep your treasure
Hornswoggle – To cheat
Lad – A term of endearment for a young man
Landlubber – An individual who is unfamiliar with life aboard ship
Lass – A term of endearment for a young woman
Matey – Chum
Run a rig – Play a trick
Savvy? – Do you understand?
Scupper that! – An expression of anger
Shiver me timbers! – An expression of strong emotion
Sink me! – An expression of surprise
Take a caulk – Go for a nap
Weigh anchor – Leave home
Wet me pipe – Quench my thirst
Yo-ho-ho – An expression of merriment
Ye might also spy that this here Community Crew now (hopefully!) sport pirate-themed portraits for our avatarrrs. As well as indulging in the pirate patter today, let us see ye in yer piratey garrrb!
What will ye be doing for International Talk Like a Pirate Day? Do yer cabin boys and girls embrace all things privateer?
Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
- 55.5K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 161 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 845 Work and employment
- 601 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 305 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 270 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.4K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.9K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 710 Chronic pain and pain management
- 720 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 953 Mental health and wellbeing
- 315 Sensory impairments