Advanced payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advanced payment

liam120318 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Can enyone please tell me,ive been claming universal credit for 7 months passed my medical had an advance payment the maximum at the beginning of my claim. However i have payed back over half of this back now. My question is my partner has just been added to my claim does this mean she will be entitled to a n advance payment also or will she not get ononee? We are both worried about this as surely we should be treated as 1 person but get separate money to live!? Can soneone please let me no thank you very much in advance.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,355 Disability Gamechanger

    You claim Universal credit as a couple but you don't get separate money to live on, you receive slightly more standard allowance per month. If you're both over 25 then standard allowance is £498.89 per month, is instead of £317. 82.

    If you are both under 25 then standard allowance is £395.20 instead of £251.77.

    As you already have outstanding money owed on an advance payment then you won't be able to have another until that's all paid off.

    Hope this helps.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    Hi @liam120318.
    They do sometimes offer a ‘change of circumstances advance’, when a relevant change means your award would go up. Even with an outstanding new claim advance.

    However these are discretionary and they also look at affordability, so they’ll look at your other current deductions when deciding as there is a limit to how much they can recover each month.

    You or your partner would need to call them to ask for this.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.