Bullying & Harassment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Bullying & Harassment

SMW83 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
Hi all,

I suffer from mental health issues subsequent to leaving a violent and controlling relationship.

On leaving said relationship my local authority assisted me in obtaining social housing, which I am extremely grateful for. However, not only have I been subjected to bullying and harassment including being physically assaulted, the block where I am housed is plagued with criminality such as drug taking, domestic violence etc. There has also recently been a rape and stabbing in the block

The constant occurrences are causing my health to decline, I do not feel safe in my home and I am constantly in fear of what will happen next.

Although my GP has written to my local authority to advise of detrimental effect living in such circumstance is having on my health, they are seemingly not taking any action with regards to the issues nor offering me any alternative.

I am at the point where my life in the current situation is untenable as I have no alternative but to stay in this circumstance.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SMW83   Thank you for your post. Sorry to hear what you are going through.

    Please can I ask have you called The Police regarding the harassment and bullying also you mentioned being physically assaulted.

    They have a unit to deal with this. Any hate crime should be investigated.

    Please may I suggest also you mentioned mental health issues. Are you receiving any support with this.? Have a mental health team.

    Please if you do not then please may I advise that you consider speaking to a mental health charity.

    By accessing support from a metal health charity can help with any issues and problems you have.

    Including in your current housing situation.

    I used this one last time.


    Might not be in all areas.

    I would also advise if the council are not helping or giving you advice on your current housing situation. Then you need to speak to CAB your local office.

    They will be able to assist with any housing problems.

    I hope that helps.

    Please if I can help with anything else please get in touch. 

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SMW83
    I am so sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time in your home. You say your local authority is "seemingly not taking any action with regards to the issues nor offering me any alternative." Can you expand on this a little? What have they said?

    You might find it useful to speak to someone trained in dealing with housing issues such as Shelter, their helpline number is 0808 800 4444 for free, confidential advice on housing problems.

    Senior online community officer
  • SMW83
    SMW83 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
    Thanks for your responses.

    Whilst I have reported several incidents to the police, it has been very much a my word against theirs situation. As many of the perpetrators are acquaintances and therefore vouch for each other, it has been hard to prove these incidents have occurred. I also feel that as I suffer from mental health issues, my reports are met with very little credibility.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.