Grants for an adjustable bed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants for an adjustable bed

disabledkenny
disabledkenny Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
I am unable to sleep through a bed that is medically unsuitable, I need an electric adjustable double bed and a mattress specially made for my needs, also a massage facility with it to help with pain & circulation problems in arms, legs & back, I am unable to work and on benefits and allowances. 

Here is a list of all my conditions: Nerve damage upper spine,
Stroke-related condition, Super Ventricular Tachycardia, Nerve Damage in Upper Spine, Asthma, Post-traumatic fibromyalgia syndrome, 3 types of Osteoarthritis, Spondylitis of upper and lower spine, 2 damaged vertebra (middle & lower lumber), Water retention of the feet, Irritable bowel disorder, Severe depression disorder, Severe panic attacks, Vertigo, Overactive Thyroid, Enlarged Prostrate, Dyslexia, Partially Deaf.

The community occupational therapy services can only provide a single bed with a very hard mattress even the softest mattress was too hard, also they could at the time only give me a 6 foot 1 inch bed (now they can offer me a single bed that foot of bed pulls out to 6 foot 7 inches but they still using memory foam mattresses which are too hard for me) & I am 6 foot 3.5 inches tall.

So need to apply for grants, I have applied for a few, but if any one knows of any grants that are available I would appreciate you telling me about them, 
thanks disabledkenny x.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Speak to district nurses about bed and mattress. That`s who got mine for me. But I have tried about 7 different mattresses...all too hard and fan ones are noisy.
    I bought one last year £138....too hard but am stuck with it!
  • disabledkenny
    Hi poppy123456 thanks I have tried the grants on turn2us they have a number of grants mostly for children, I appreciate your help & response, take care disabledkenny xx.
  • disabledkenny
    Hi pollyanna1052 thanks I do not have a district nurse but all ready had an adjustable bed from social services & all there mattresses are too hard plus only single & will not provide a massage with it, there is only the grant process to buy one which will cost me £6800, take care disabledkenny xx.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @disabledkenny1, I'm sorry there wasn't anything on the grant checker the Poppy provided. Please do let us know how you get on with the grants that you have applied for. I appreciate how frustrating this must be.
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi pollyanna1052 thanks I do not have a district nurse but all ready had an adjustable bed from social services & all there mattresses are too hard plus only single & will not provide a massage with it, there is only the grant process to buy one which will cost me £6800, take care disabledkenny xx.
    I found all their mattresses either/both too hard/noisy.
    I bought a pressure care mattress (no massage) for £138. It`s too hard as well. Tried a memory foam topper....cant turn over..ditched it!
    It costs a fortune to be disabled, doesn`t it? xx
  • disabledkenny
    Hi I have a adviser @ penninewest through Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) applying for grants for an adjustable bed, I have found 8 grants that need CAB need to apply for I am applying for so many as some may only give £500 towards the cost others may offer the full amount if I am successful, they helped me get £1000 grant towards alterations to my electric wheelchair, I still need to find £374 which I am saving up for.
    Hopefully they will get grants sorted for me so that I will be able to purchase the adjustable bed that I need to be able to sleep as most nights I am in my reclining armchair, which is not suitable.
    Take care dear friends, Kenny x.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for letting us know and I really hope you can get the full amount covered. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.