Carer’s Allowance or just carers component on UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Carer’s Allowance or just carers component on UC?

Hillmarie Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone... Iam currently on UC with one child... So iam trying to decide if I should go ahead and apply for carers allowance or if its worth just applying for the carers component on UC or not to bother atall... Would appreciate opinions /help


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,577 Scope online community team
    edited September 2019
    Hello @Hillmarie and welcome to the community!

    For most people this is a personal preference. If you live in Scotland there is a financial gain by claiming Carer’s Allowance and the carer element of UC, but not for the rest of the UK. 

    Carer’s Allowance is paid weekly which some people find to be helpful with budgeting. It also pays higher NI contributions for the claimant than Universal Credit alone.
    However, it is deducted £ for £ from UC so you’re not any better off financially.

    The carer element of UC is an additional £160 a month and can be claimed whether or not you are claiming Carer’s Allowance. 

    I hope that helps but any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.