Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Named driver

Hi, im getting higher level mobility rate for PIP. A friend mentioned that i should be able to get discounted car tax for my partner as he is my main carer and takes me to hospital and doctors appointments etc. Is this true? And if so, how do i register him?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Enhanced rate mobility entitles you to free road tax BUT the vehicle it's used for must be used for your purposes only. You don't need to be in the car for every journey, as long as the purpose of the journey is for you.

    You don't register him, you need to claim your free road tax when you next renew it. To do this you'll need the entitlement certificate that came with your PIP award. You just take this and all your other documents to your local post office. If you don't have this then you'll need to ring DWP to request a copy to be sent to you.  Details in this link.

    Enhanced rate mobility also entitles you to exchange your money for a mobility car of your choice.

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

    Scope community team

    A warm welcome to the community @SAckek84! :) I hope Poppy has been able to answer this for you. 
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.