ESA and working — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA and working

leo2015 Member Posts: 7 Listener
I have aniridia but I would love the opportunity,  to do some training/ courses/volerteering , with dogs. The only money I have coming in is ESA . So I can only , do something that wont effect my benifit . 


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leo2015, how are you doing today?

    Here is some information from Citizen's Advice:

    You can do some paid or unpaid work while you’re getting ESA and it won’t affect your benefit. This is called ‘permitted work’, or ‘supported permitted work’.

    Any job can be permitted work as long as each week you're working under 16 hours, and earning up to £131.50.  It doesn't matter whether you’re in the support group or the work-related activity group.

    'Supported permitted work' is work that’s either:

    • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people
    • part of a treatment programme under medical supervision

    You can also earn up to £131.50 a week doing supported permitted work. 

    If you’re not sure whether the sort of work you want to do will be seen as permitted work or supported permitted work, you can ask an experienced adviser at your local Citizens Advice and they’ll be able to help you.

    If you’re going to start doing permitted work, supported permitted work, or volunteering, you’ll need to fill in the permitted work form and return this to the JobCentre Plus office that pays your ESA. 

    I hope this helps and we'd love to hear how you get on! Working with dogs would be amazing!


  • kevin52
    kevin52 Member Posts: 73 Courageous
    edited October 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kevin52, everything okay? 

  • leo2015
    leo2015 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Kevin 52 , I hope you are ok ? All this ESA /PIP business , is so difficult. It seems to me , what ever I do ... I will lose out, somewhere ie money wise. What has been your experience ? 
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Hi Permitted work is allowed but I think you should know that it might be taken into consideration at your next assessment particularly if it contadics why you claim ESA.
  • leo2015
    leo2015 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Silver925 , thank you for that bit of information. Deffinitly need to think about that  very helpful .  


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.