PIP, tax credits and housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP, tax credits and housing benefit

xxclairexx
xxclairexx Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello I'm just wondering if housing benefit and tax credits benefits change when you start getting PIP?

Comments

• xxclairexx
    Hi, i got my PIP report today and i looked up online for the PIP points breakdown and matched it to the boxes my assesor ticked on my report and i have scored very high which is enough points for both enhanced rate care and mobility, I'm just wondering if the decision maker would go against the assesor and turn me down or is this unlikely?  I'm kind of sorry i asked for the report now because it's making me quite anxious in case i get my hopes up and then get turned down, that's the last thing i need right now.  Would anyone know how this works please?  Thanks in advance.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @xxclairexx If you have indeed scored 12 points or more for both the daily living & mobility components, you should receive the enhanced rate for both.

My understanding is that a Decision Maker, who isn't medically qualified, would rarely go against a Health Care professional's assessment.

I hope you receive the decision you feel is appropriate. Do please let us know.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @xxclairexx, Hello and welcome, that's great news and we'll done on making the effort to look up online for information about your assessment report scores. The decision makers normally go with the assessment report but you will have to wait for the official notification letter from DWP which will be sent to you in the next 8 to 10 weeks it's a long wait but you are waiting for confirmation so try to get on with your life and not get stressed or anxious. 
  • xxclairexx
    Thanks for the reply! The points aren't showing on the report but i see the boxes the assesor ticked and added up the points from online and i scored 20 for Mobility and got 12 points in the first 3 questions of daily living, haven't even added up the rest of the daily living points yet.
  • xxclairexx
    Thank you Wilko, I've been so ill.  I applied for PIP a couple of years ago and lost the appeal, horrendous ordeal and i was left traumatised, i was totally worried about going through it again but everyone pushed me and i finally think I've got what I'm entitled to, it will really help if i am successful because i need to pay a cleaner and someone to cook me meals etc
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont think PIP is used when means testing for these benefits, but someone else will be able to say for definite.

• xxclairexx
    Someone actually told me the tax credits and housing benefit can increase when awarded PIP
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @xxclairexx. PIP is not included when claiming other benefits but can allow you to claim other benefits because you are claiming PIP. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, if you claim working tax credits then yes a PIP award can mean you maybe entitled to more. If it’s just child tax credits you claim and the PIP award isn’t for your child then no, you won’t be entitled to anymore tax credits.

A PIP award can entitle you to more housing benefit but that will depend on your circumstances. You should report the changes to your local council and if you’re entitled to more they will inform you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • xxclairexx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.