If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


KarenorKarenor Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, do I need information from the doctor before I can claim PIP


  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karenor and thanks for your question.  My own personal experience of PIP is that I didn't need to contact my GP before I put in my claim.  The PIP form does ask for your GP's contact details and PIP contacted my GP for medical information once I had sent the form to them.  It is maybe best to phone PIP to ask them if this is still the case or not.  Meantime, here is the Scope link to PIP for further info if you need it.  

    Many members of the Community have experience of PIP and so may have other information and advice to add.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best with your PIP claim.  :smile:

    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    No, no need to contact GP. My form told me not to pay for anything to send to PIP and as GP did charge, I didn`t bother. Put other evidence of how your condition affects you. They are more interested in daily help you need and how you accomplish their questions about this
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,254 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karenor As I was moving from Disability Living Allowance over to PIP, perhaps my situation was different. Also as I no longer saw any specialists (other than a yearly echocardiogram followed by a visit to my cardiologist), I did go to my GP, mentioning I was having to apply for PIP.

    As my GP has a good understanding of my medical problems, & I had seen him several times, he told me not to worry, as he would support me. He advised that he would charge £25 for a letter which I could collect from the surgery. He also said if there were any minor parts that I wanted amending he would be willing to do that at no extra cost (which proved unnecessary).

    As my main issue was limited mobility and damage to my right arm & wrist, which he could see, I felt he was very helpful. He also acknowledged my chronic pain & wrote that people with my disorder are not helped much by medication.

    So, IMHO, a letter from a GP may be helpful.....it all depends.

    If you see any specialists who can comment on problems you face in activities of daily living, difficulty going out, or mobility issues, then that would be useful to support your claim. It is better if you collect any medical evidence, as I've read on here that it's not usually asked for by the assessors.

    Any other questions, please do say; as mentioned above, other members may be able to help.

  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karenor and welcome to the community! You do not need to see your GP to make a claim. Here is some information about PIP and here is an article about how to complete the form.

    If you need anymore information then please do let us know. :) 

Sign in or join us to comment.