Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

New style ESA claim

MsbettyboopMsbettyboop Member Posts: 25 Courageous
Hi I'm on pip and I'm about to make a claim for the new style ESA. If I backdate it 3 months prior as I've read this can be done, does my sicknote from the doctor need to be backed for that long as well? 


  • MsbettyboopMsbettyboop Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    edited October 2019
    Hi im on pip and applying for ESA, I want to backdate my claim for 3 months as I've seen you can do this. Do I need a sicknote from the doctor to be backdated for this and will I have to attend jobcentre appointments or can I get a home visit or do it thinks over the phone once I've sent the forms back? 
  • Joanne_ScopeJoanne_Scope Scope helpline, Scope adviser Posts: 190 Pioneering
    Hi @Msbettyboop,

    You would definitely need a sick note to cover the time you want the New Style ESA to cover.

    You will also need to have enough National Insurance contributions for 2 out of the past 3 years. Have you been working until recently?

    When you apply for the New Style ESA you will be asked to attend a Work Capability Assessment.

     This is not carried out by the job centre. It is done by either Capita or Independent Assessment Services (IAS), usually at one of their centres. You can ask for the assessment to be carried out at home. You will usually need a supporting letter from your GP for this and they do not always agree to assess you in this way.

    Let us know if you have any further questions and we will do our best to answer them.
  • MsbettyboopMsbettyboop Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Hi Joanne, 

    Thank you for your reply, 

    I have previously worked in the last two years, so should hopefully have enough contributions. 
Sign in or join us to comment.