Telling my employer about my new autism diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telling my employer about my new autism diagnosis

Foxx7
Foxx7 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have recently been diagnose with ASD but I had my job before getting this... Do I tell my employer.

I work in a school for SEN and love it feel I can really help though my own experience 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Foxx7, hello and welcome, your doing a great job but suddenly receiving your diagnosis must have been a shock, but also relieve as you now know why you did or reacted to different surcumstances and hopefully with treatment will be able to be a better person in your employment. As for telling your employer it could be wise to as you may need time off for medical appointments ect. So take some advice outside of your workplace, plus see what other members recommend on the forum. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I think it's your decision whether you tell them or not. ASD isn't something where you would need to attend appointments because there's no treatment for this.

If you were having issues with coping at work before the diagnosis then yes maybe it will be better to tell them, otherwise personally i wouldn't say anything but this is my opinion of course only you can decide what's best for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @foxx7,

Welcome to the Community!

there is some information on the Scope website about talking to people at work about your condition. You might find it useful to have a read through this and also contact our Online Employment Adviser.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Foxx7 and a warm welcome to the community. I just want to echo what other people have said and that this is completely your decision. The article that @Joanne_Scope has provided should help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.