Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
Housing issues disabled parent
hi I’m new to this but seeking advice, my dad had a stroke in June and has been left unable to walk assisted. My parents are in rented accommodation which is now not suitable as he cannot get out of their flat which has 3 steps. We have registered fir housing, but yesterday was told they would not qualify as they have sold a house in France , they do not have the money yet and when they do it will be £40k which is above the threshold for housing. We have been searching for suitable accommodation fir months, and not found anything within their budget. My dad is totally fed up now as all they need is a ground floor flat with a walk in shower but if the council will not accommodate who can they go to?
- 48.1K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.8K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 608 Work and employment
- 509 Education
- 926 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 903 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 573 Chronic pain and pain management
- 631 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 681 Autism and neurodiversity
- 814 Mental health and wellbeing
- 282 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.