Can’t cope with my sons anger — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can’t cope with my sons anger

SJBarlow Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
My son has recently been diagnosed with ASD and SPD. He is 5 and has been a challenge since birth, anger being the main issue. I don’t know where to start with his diagnosis or how to get help, I can’t cope with his behaviour any more it’s destroying me 


  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I'm sorry to hear that it's not easy dealing with challenging behaviour speak to his school try and work out his triggers my son used to show anger when he was frustrated by things at school but he did not understand it at the time. I hope you find the support you need x. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SJBarlow. Welcome to the forums! 

    I hope that you manage to find some support. What about contacting MIND? Alternatively you can try to contact your local community mental health team for support. Suggest politely that he keeps a diary. More information on finding appropriate mental health services can be found here in this article.

    This is a list of helplines.

    CAMHS can offer advice and information as well. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SJBarlow
    I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time.
    Have you seen the National Autistic Society? They have so much information and support available including a helpline you can call on 0808 800 4104 Monday to Thursday 10am-4pm and Friday 9am-3pm

    Have you spoken to your Health Visitor or school about this and asked what support is available?

    Senior online community officer
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @SJBarlow

    I am so sorry to hear about the issues you are having at home with your son.
    Challenging behaviour can be a big part of ASD, but strategies can be put in place to help.  Have you spoken to your son's SENCO to ask for their advice? 
    Again, SPD can cause challenging behaviour as he may be getting so much sensory input at one time that he is completely overwhelmed, and acting out at you is his only way of showing how distressed he is.

    Have you been to the GP to have your son referred to an occupational therapist?  This service can assess and provide what are called sensory diets to help your son cope with all of the sensory input that he is receiving.

    Looking on autism websites as @Sam_Scope said should give information on strategies to help with challenging behaviour but the following may also be useful and they also have a family support service -

    I hope the above helps in some way.

    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SJBarlow and a very warm welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear how difficult things are at the moment, it sounds like it has been really hard to manage. The advice above is good so I hope these suggestions have been helpful for you.

    You might be interested in Navigate which is one of the family services at Scope that offer emotional support for parents who have just received a diagnosis for their child.

    I was just wondering what support he had at school? Does your son have a Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)? If this isn't the case then I would look into getting one as it could allow him to access more support in school and become beneficial in the future. Here is some information about the EHCP process.  

    I know he might be too young, but here is some information about talking about your impairment and the social model of disability. 

    If you are worried about your sons behaviour you can make a referral to the Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service (CAMHS) where they can offer counselling or other forms of therapy.

    Also here is some information about Family Fund, they are a charity who provide grants to families who have a disabled child. The support can be practical but it can also be days out for the family and respite type things.

    I am tagging @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors who is our amazing Autism adviser.

    Sorry I have given you a lot of information, I just want to give you all the options you have around you. Please do keep us updated and let us know how you get on! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.