Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
pros and cons for travel
My Mother has a bucket list and one that I want to make happen is a road trip. I have already decided to purchase a reclining wheelchair as she cant handle sitting up for long, that is going to set me back several hundred dollars. I have a cargo van and a ramp that I use for for my (work) equipment so I can get her in and out of the vehicle with no problem, but securing her inside is a big expense (tie downs cost hundreds of dollars) that I cannot afford by using the tie down systems. so I had a thought, I can easily secure a bed inside the van and get a nice high wedge for the bed so she can sit up and enjoy the ride without much expense. and I can add a seat belt to the bed. I thought of renting a wheelchair access van but that proved to be out of budget as well. can you think of any pros and cons that I need to know about my plan?
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 579 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 278 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.