pros and cons for travel — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pros and cons for travel

Options
mokachu
mokachu Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My Mother has a bucket list and one that I want to make happen is a road trip. I have already decided to purchase a reclining wheelchair as she cant handle sitting up for long, that is going to set me back several hundred dollars. I have a cargo van and a ramp that I use for for my (work) equipment so I can get her in and out of the vehicle with no problem, but securing her inside is a big expense (tie downs cost hundreds of dollars) that I cannot afford by using the tie down systems. so I had a thought, I can easily secure a bed inside the van and get a nice high wedge for the bed so she can sit up and enjoy the ride without much expense. and I can add a seat belt to the bed. I thought of renting a wheelchair access van but that proved to be out of budget as well. can you think of any pros and cons that I need to know about my plan?

Comments

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    mokachu said:
    My Mother has a bucket list and one that I want to make happen is a road trip. I have already decided to purchase a reclining wheelchair as she cant handle sitting up for long, that is going to set me back several hundred dollars. I have a cargo van and a ramp that I use for for my (work) equipment so I can get her in and out of the vehicle with no problem, but securing her inside is a big expense (tie downs cost hundreds of dollars) that I cannot afford by using the tie down systems. so I had a thought, I can easily secure a bed inside the van and get a nice high wedge for the bed so she can sit up and enjoy the ride without much expense. and I can add a seat belt to the bed. I thought of renting a wheelchair access van but that proved to be out of budget as well. can you think of any pros and cons that I need to know about my plan?
    There are tracking systems “unwin safety surface rail 3.6 m £42 and there are clamps and seatbelt fittings.

sure you can find similar 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @mokachu, how are you and your mum getting on? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.