my husband — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

my husband

kate65 Member Posts: 1 Listener


Thank you for providing this forum!

My husband has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma and he is receiving treatment. He travels to work and is not receiving benefits (neither am I). However I am having to now pick him up and drop him off at the station as he is very short of breath and it is hard for him to get up and down the hill. I am also having to take him to appts etc.

Is he able to claim any financial support, like PIP?

Thank you.


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    @ kate665, hello and welcome, PIP is a benefit to help you with your daily living activities and mobility issues and is not awarded on a diagnosis or illness or the amount of prescription drugs you are taking. PIP is awarded on your ability to preform the PIP descriptiors in a repeatable, safe and timely manner. If you read the PIP descriptiors and see how you can would do cope for each one then decide if you should claim. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    You can take the PIP self test. Just type PIP self test in and it will come up.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @kate65
    Here is the link for the PIP self test it is a good indicator of if your husband could be entitled to PIP. It is about how his illness effects him day to day not about the diagnosis itself.

    There is a finances and benefits info sheet here from Myeloma UK that might be useful

    Have you seen the Myeloma UK website? They have helpline too, their information is below:

    Speak to our specialists

    When you call us, you’ll speak to one of our Myeloma Information Specialists who have an in-depth understanding of myeloma and are supported by a team of dedicated medical and nursing advisors. They can provide information about myeloma and its treatments, practical advice, emotional support and that all-important listening ear.

    It’s important to remember that the information our specialists give you is general guidance and should not be considered as medical or clinical advice, or used as a substitute for personalised or specific advice from a qualified healthcare professional. This also applies to any legal or financial matters.

    Further information

    Call us for free on: 0800 980 3332 (UK) or 1800 937 773 (Ireland)

    The Myeloma Infoline is available Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm (closed weekends and most public holidays).

    Senior online community officer
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @kate65, how are you and your husband doing today?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.