How accessible do you find Halloween? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How accessible do you find Halloween?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2019 in Coffee lounge

Every year the days get shorter, the evenings get darker and the weather gets colder. Before we know it, summer deals are replaced with Halloween costumes and the spooky evening of 31st October is upon us!

But how accessible do you find it?

two pumpkins calved with a spooky smile

This might be getting to your front door quick enough to give sweets to trick-a-treaters or simply being able to access your local neighbourhood.

For me, part of my visual impairment means that I have night blindness. In low light I have very little vision and navigating becomes extremely difficult.

What are your thoughts on Halloween? Do you come across things that are inaccessible? Do you have any solutions for us? Let us know in the comments!

Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Here's a tweet from AccessAble that you may find helpful:
    Four Venues for Halloween Fun using AccessAble

AccessAble Champion Becky Henley gives her top 4 places for some spooky fun this Halloween. All of the venues featured are on our AccessAble App and Website. #KnowMoreGoMore

Here is the full article: Four Venues for Halloween Fun using AccessAble.

Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I make up the Halloween bags for the kids and my husband goes to the door for me.  Otherwise it would take me forever to get there and the kids would be away!  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Harmless fun for smaller children, I either choose to be with friends or choose not to be home
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We place a Halloween sweet bucket outside the front door. I used to carry my son to the door but this is not a option this year. We have our own Halloween party at home instead. My partner and I watch spooky films, eat sweets and tell creepy stories. Because of my son’s physical impairment, going on a trick or treat evening is not practical. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions, some great ideas!
    Scope

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    i forgot it was Halloween because i don't celebrate it. i panicked when the kids came knocking at 8pm, they banged on the door like it was the end of the world. I looked out the window and saw a little goblin and a scary clown, then it dawned on me. I should've had some sweets for them, anyway there is always next year.
    im more into bonfire night but never go out to the firework displays because of the cold and rain. the local council has them every year but its not very accessible because all vehicles have to be parked a long walk from the disabled seating section. i can always look out the window whilst enjoying a hot toddy. ;)
  • Chloe_Scope
    That must have been frightening @mrbuttons! I can understand about bonfire night, I too prefer to stay indoors where it's nice and warm!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.