Turning lights on for disabled people? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turning lights on for disabled people?

Shazwalt
Shazwalt Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, Many thanks for letting me join. I wonder if anyone can please help.  My eldery Dad's disabled & has to use a zimmer frame.  He's now having problems reaching for his light switches, so I'm trying to think of ways to help him.

I remember hearing about a lamp that turns on & off when you whistle at it (he can whistle lol) but I can't find 1 online.  Another option is a bulb that's clap activated, but he can't do that,  but I'm wondering if that also means it reactes to a high pitched noise.

I would really appreciate any advise.

Many thanks ?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shazwalt
    I wonder if your dad has had a social care needs assessment?

If  someone you know, needs help to cope day-to-day, the first step is to get a needs assessment from your local council.

You'll need to have this assessment before the council can recommend a service such as:

• equipment like a walking frame or personal alarm
    • changes to your home such as a walk-in shower
    • practical help from a paid carer
    • day care for your child if either you or they are disabled
    • access to day centres and lunch clubs
    • moving to a care home

The needs assessment is free and anyone can ask for one.

How to get a needs assessment

Contact social services at your local council and ask for a needs assessment. You can call them or do it online.

Apply for a needs assessment

From this perhaps they would be able to suggest adaptations to the home to make life a little easier for him?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Shazwalt
    Thanks. He has severe Essential Tremor so finds it really hard to use remotes, & he doesn't have wifi so I can't set Alexa up for him unfortunately. He uses a zimmer so if there was something that he could whistle or talk to it would make life so much easier for him. I've contacted various lighting companies & they all suggest Alexa. I think I'll contact some of the living aid companies & see what they come up with ?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you heard of the charity Remap? They provide custom-made equipment to help disabled people live more independent lives for free! 

They say:

We design and custom-make equipment to help disabled people live more independent lives. This includes mobility, help in the home, managing personal care, enjoying sports and hobbies and much more. All our work is carried out and checked by expert engineers, carpenters, technicians and occupational therapists.

Our help is provided free of charge because we are a charity.

We are passionate about helping disabled people to become more independent and enjoy the things they want to do. Last year we helped over 3,500 people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and all the equipment we made was given free of charge.

Can we help you? Get in touch here

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hello @Shazwalt   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear about your father.

I am one of the community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join.

Please can I suggest you contact AGE UK.

Might be worth a chat. As they could help with assisting your father in any thing lifestyle he may need.

Support groups and other aspects of advice and guidance.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

You could may I say. Go on line and look for disabled suppliers. Many have websites with tools, practical solutions and ideas.

AMAZON has a disabled section for utensils, equipment and anything else you might need . 

Just a thought.

Please if I can further help or you wish to know anything please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Shazwalt
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely look into them ?
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    rather than my main light i use lamps that r touch activated. u toch the base and it turns on. 

u can get led lamps for about £10 but u can get bigger lamps. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Please let us know how you get on @Shazwalt. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.