Housing benefit pending esa MR — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit pending esa MR

Catlover64
Catlover64 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hi everyone,
Wanting some advice. If your ESA is stopped after failing your WCA, and a person wants to go on to appeal, can you get paid housing benefit during the mandatory reconsideration period if you have no income and only savings under £6000? I rang housing benefit to enquire and they said NO as they can't work out your benefit on nil income! Is this right? I have read online otherwise!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You have been incorrectly advised i'm afraid. Yes, you can definitely claim housing benefit on nil income. All you need to do is ask for the nil income form and fill it in and return it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Catlover64
    Ah thanks Poppy, how come they do not know what they are doing there? I did ask for a nil income form but they said you have to go online and fill in a change of circumstances form as they don't have any nil income forms? Also, do you know roughly what the waiting time is for MR recently by any chance? Thanks .
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Sometimes people just don't know what they are talking about and often give incorrect advice. Some councils may do everything online now so it could well be a change of circumstances because of the nil income. Just do not claim Universal credit by mistake because if you do this then you won't be able to go back onto ESA anytime in the future.

There's no timescales for any decision, it depends on backlog in your area but most MR decisions remain the same.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Catlover64
    Could anybody please give me the appropriate regs to throw at my council regarding housing benefit whilst awaiting mandatory consideration/appeal? Thanks in advance.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2019
    As far as i know there's no regulations for this, at least i couldn't find anything related to it but it's definitely possible to claim HB through nil income because i know of many people on here that have done exactly that.
  • Catlover64
    Thanks Poppy, I have spoken to a woman earlier today at Hb "advice" who said she spoke to two "assessors w"both said that I have to wait until the outcome of my appeal! I don't believe them because you told me exactly what I have seen online! I am trying to get hold of CAB still. Thanks for your support.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.