Home visits rights — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home visits rights

DiJo
DiJo Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I'm new on here, Can anyone tell me if (when you have a home visit) the assessment person is allowed to look round your house or just ask you the questions? 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, the assecor can only ask you the questions relating to the PIP descriptiors. As for looking around home it is a direct invasion of your privacy. The HP may ask if they can use your toilet but other than that they should stay in your presence. 
  • DiJo
    Thanks for letting me know, I have never had a home visit before
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DiJo and a very warm welcome to the community! As @wilko has said, they cannot just have a look round your house, but could use the toilet. They should only be in the rooms you have shown them.

I hope this helps and please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

• DiJo
    Well today's the day of my home visit for PIP at 12.30. I've got all my paperwork sorted ready. Thanks for the support. I'll let you know how it goes. 
    Take care 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck for today. You say you have all your paperwork ready? Is that evidence to support your claim? If so then did you send it with the form? The reason i ask is because sometimes especially with home visits they will refuse to accept any evidence on the day. This actually happened to me during a home visit and others too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DiJo
    Yeah Poppy123456 I was meaning the back up papers, I did send them with the form, I'll just keep them to hand lol  thanks. 
  • DiJo
    Phew thank goodness it's over, well the lady seemed nice think it went OK now just got to wait and see how it works out. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Wait a week and you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea of what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report, you'll still have to wait for the decision though.

There's no timescales for decisions but it can sometimes take between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Fingers crossed for you @DiJo. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope it all works out @DiJo! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.