ESA BACKPAY. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA BACKPAY.

nay1993
nay1993 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
Im just wondering if someone has had the same phone call as me. I have just recently had a tribunal for my claim for pip and won. I have received my back pay and my normal payments have started. Before this I had a re assessment for my esa and was awarded it for 12 months but never had to attend a tribunal for this like I did for my pip.  I have just received a phone call from esa. I was asked to confirm my address, if I had ever received carers allowance, and if I had a partner throughout my claim. I was told I would start receiving disability premium again and I would be owed back pay from September 2018. I’m due my esa payment on Tuesday and was told I would receive it today instead of Tuesday so there wasn’t any confusing once the back pay was processed. I was told I would receive my back pay on Thursday. Can anyone tell me why I’m receiving backpay for esa when my claim has never been stopped? My disability premium that is paid in with my esa after my pip stopped last year. My only guess is is that now I’ve been given my pip back that I’m automatically entitled to the disability premium again? And I’m owed. I’m really confused. I should of asked. But I did explain that I had received backpay from pip already. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

The disability premium that you're talking about is the severe disability premium, which is paid if no one claims carers allowance for looking after you and if you live alone, or classed as living alone. For this you need to be claiming daily living PIP or DLA/mid high rate care. It's paid in with your ESA and from April 2019 it's £65.85 per week, slightly less before the increase. When you PIP stopped your SDP would have also stopped with it. The backdated money is money owed from the time your PIP stopped.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @nay1993. Poppy has given you great advice and I hope it's helped explain things for you. I just wanted to add a huge congratulations on your tribunal win! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.