UC interview - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC interview

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    She had to register at the docs when they first arrived for meds. That's under my address too. All this over 18 months ago though
    @poppy123456.
    Just guessing but they're probably not on the electoral roll. They arrived here with literally nothing and the caravan site put them up in a tourer at that point and they've been here ever since.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    You could potentially have problems here especially if they are also registered at the GP for your address. You need to check where their bank is registered at because even if it's online banking there will still need to be an address for them. My guess is that their name flagged up somewhere as living at your address.

If you live on your own and you're claiming 25% single person council tax reduction then you could have problems with this too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    Yes here on my own. I get the 25%, also council tax benefit because of low income. They have been here since April 2018, over 18 months. Why should it suddenly have flagged up?
    Never had a bank statement in the mail for them, very rarely get anything, just the occassional NHS appointment for her.
    The local council have never queried it. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for this information @Franstrahan, I really hope it doesn't affect things.
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    It came to mind this morning coz I remember the local council years back getting in touch saying then I was living with somebody because (not sure of all the details) but somebody had tried to claim something and gave my address.
    There was no trouble then, I just said nobody here but me, and never heard any more. But that incident just made me think, this could be something similar.
    Only not heard from local council. 
  • poppy123456
    Does this person claim benefits there self? If so then are they using your address for this as well? I'm guessing they are especially since the council has asked you this very question previously.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bettahm
    I've never had a letter here from the dwp for them so dont know how they are claiming. Could they be using the caravan sites address? All she said to me was for health-related stuff, hospital appts and docs at my address. Never had any mail for him, so they must be getting mail elsewhere too.
    I've never really thought about it this in depth before.
  • poppy123456
    I would definitely be asking this person. Normally it wouldn't be any problem but as you're claiming benefits yourself then it could be an issue. If this person is using another address for everything else except what you mentioned then i don't know why they are using that address for everything.

It's still just a pure guess unless you confront the person in question and that's exactly what i'd be doing if i were you,
  • Bettahm
    I'll talk to her over the weekend. They could have registered this address for benefits. Thinking about it dwp dont write to me either, it comes thru my journal. They dont claim UC, but dwp possibly contact them online. I think he may get something as her carer too, as she cant be left on her own much.
    Only thing, why it taken dwp 18 months to find this. If this is the problem.
    Thanks for all the help and advice Poppy.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

If they don't claim UC then they can't be contacted online. The only other way is letter or phone call.
  • Bettahm
    Its gets weirder then. Thought they'd have had a letter in 18 months.
  • poppy123456
    Your guess is as good as mine, it will totally depend on what benefits they claim, if any at all.
  • VOB
    VOB Community member Posts: 45 Pioneering
    Hi if these people are living in a caravan all year round then they will be liable to pay Council tax. Also you cant register at a Doctor's from a caravan. You have to give a proper postal address for yourself. If they are giving your address then you will be liable. It will look like the people are living at your address which leaves you vulnerable because you are claiming single persons council tax discount. If the people in the caravan haven't been paying Council tax then it looks like someone had rumbled you.
  • Bettahm
    @VOB
    Ok that explains why she only wanted my address for hospital and doc letters. But I've no idea if they're paying council tax or not.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, This may appear completely unrelated, but again involves the DWP. Yesterday I got a letter about my Winter Fuel Payment, which was half that I received last year, as apparently there was someone else living here that would be sharing it. Well my kitten's not old enough, & I live on my own apart from her!
    I rang the DWP, & I'll get the other half in the first 3 months of next year. I asked why had this happened, & was asked did I live in some flats, so there could be others living at the same postcode, & she went through everything else she thought might be relevant. I said I lived in a Park Home, which I had to explain was like a bungalow. However, my address does include the words, 'Caravan Park, ' so you've now got me wondering if this might be the problem. Anyway, the lady from the DWP yesterday said that sometimes the computer just randomly generates the sort of letter I got.
    Just thought I'd mention in case your letter has been just random too.
  • Bettahm
    Hi @chiarieds
    Well my letter does appear like just a standard letter that I suppose just might be generated randomly. It doesnt give a specific reason as to why I have been called in. I think it's just the wording of it, makes you feel anxious anyway, and given the reputation the dwp have, any dealings to do with them is worrying!  I've read forums online, people getting the same letter I have here, and they are worried, like me, as in 'what's this all about'. 
    Just occured to me it could be my friend in the caravan site using my address for her hospital appointments. This site is a real holiday site, not a park homes one.
    Your case sounds rather strange in that they dont really seem to know themselves why the payment has been split and have come up with the letter generated randomly. And of course you now live with a kitten, which is bound to sound alarm bells somewhere within the dwp!
  • VOB
    VOB Community member Posts: 45 Pioneering
    Hi .@Fanstarhan.

If you live in a caravan the site has to close down for a period of time every year so you have to have a permenant address. Some sites do have 52 week licence to open, all though this is very rare.
    Where are they living when the site closes down? 
    You cannot claim housing benefit for living in a Carvan and Caravan sites fees do not come cheap at all.

You cannot register with a Doctor while living in a caravan.

They can't be on the electrol register so they won't be paying Council tax. 
    If someone on the site where they live is disgruntled because these people are not paying Council tax then they may well have reported them. 

Everyone is liable to pay Council tax although some people live in caravans and when the site closes they go away for the duration of that time.

I would get this sorted immediately because this could be classed as fraud and you doing someone else a favour may land you in bother.
    Hope you get it sorted.
  • Bettahm
    @VOB
    Dont really know that much about them, only got involved when they turned up here and did her a favour by letting her use my address for the docs and hospital. Not in regular contact with them, except for the rare occasions she gets a letter, and he never does get one. Which doesnt make sense either. 
  • poppy123456
    Not really knowing much about them and agreeing for them to use your address is really quite scary. You need to contact them and speak to them urgently. Even if this interview has nothing to do with this, it could catch up with you in the future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, one of the questions I was asked, I remember now, was about anybody else getting their post sent to my address.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.