Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Should I bother with Carer's Allowance?

trix73trix73 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2019 in Universal Credit
I am currently receiving UC and thinking about claiming the care element  as I'm caring for my dad who has dementia. Am I right in assuming I shouldn't bother to claim carers allowance, I should claim for the care element solely? If I do What happens when if I start working also?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    HI and welcome,

    To be able to claim the carers element of UC for looking after your dad he must be claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance and you must be looking after him for at least 35 hours per week.

    If he does claim one of those and he lives alone then you need to make sure he's not claiming  severe disability premium in one of his benefits, if he does and your claiming the carers element or carers allowance for looking after him then he will lose that premium and it will stop, which could affect any other benefits he's claiming.

    You do not have to claim carers allowance to claim the carers element. The only advantage to claiming carers allowance is it pays class 1 NI where as UC pays class 3. Also if you live in Scotland claiming carers allowance will entitle you to extra money twice a year.

    You can work and claim carers element and there's no earning restrictions like there is with carers allowance. However, if you have no dependent children then you won't have a work allowance and you'll see reductions of 63p for every £1 you earn.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @trix73 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
Sign in or join us to comment.