Awarded PIP , now having to under go another ESA assessment.payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded PIP , now having to under go another ESA assessment.payment

Options
stapeley
stapeley Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Was awarded PIP , after a home visit . I had already been receiving  ESA  for  12 months . But have had to fill the form again for ESA , that was 5 months ago .  Received enhanced rate of ESA  for disability once I got PIP . Surely I should not have to go through the ESA assessment rigmarole again ? The DWP  even put on the new award letter confirming the disability payment part , severely disabled .  Suppose to be two separate things but surely the worked together to award the extra , so why not when it comes to a new ESA assessment ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

ESA and PIP are completely different benefits, with different criteria. Receiving the one doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to the other.

People claim PIP and work. The reason you're receiving the severe disability premium is because you're claiming daily living PIP and you're living alone, with no one claiming carers allowance for looking after you. This will have nothing to do with any future ESA assessments either. It's extra money that's paid because you live alone.

Unfortunately for the work capability assessment they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months. Each time you receive the form, it needs to be filled in and returned with all your evidence. You should expect another face to face assessment for this too because paper based assessments are rare.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.