Hi, my name is Ribena! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ribena!

Ribena
Ribena Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I am 48 yo female with Fibromyalgia who is struggling to get PIP, help with appropriate housing and am being discriminated in my workplace. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ribena - Welcome to the community, 'tho I'm sorry to read about the problems you're facing. Where are you in the PIP process? Have you had a decision which was not what you expected? I'm asking as the Scope team & others may possibly be able to help you with PIP if you would say more please.
    What is your housing problem?
    Again, what has been happening at work?
    As I say, if you might reply, hopefully you'll get help with these things, thank you.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ribena and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Sorry to hear you have had problems with PIP, housing and work.  I hope you get things sorted out and as @chiareds has advised, some of our members or the Community Team may be best to advise you with these matters.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ribena
    Ribena Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My PIP was refused as they said I did not send enough information in time. I tried to get help from CAB but never managed to speak to anyone after calling repeatedly and holding for 45 minutes a time. I completed it as best I could understand and sent it back 5 days before due. I am trying to get council housing as currently private renting a 2 storey house which I can not modify. No toilet downstairs, struggle with stairs often and kitchen unit too high etc. At work I appear to be being made an example of following recent sickness due to my Fibromyalgia and they are going outside their own policies and procedures when it comes to my disability. It's all adding to my anxiety and I am struggling to cope.
  • chiarieds
    Thank you for saying more, & I'm so sorry it's so understandably difficult to cope with. I'll ask another member for their help now.
    Please @poppy123456 would you help here, thank you.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ribena, Poppy may not be able to respond until tomorrow. Sorry for all the questions, but when did you get the decision letter about PIP?
    Are you hoping to get a council home more suitable for your needs within the same council area?
    Here's a link from this Scope's website about problems in the workplace which may be helpful: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/disability-discrimination-at-work/
    I'm just thinking the more information you can give, the more @poppy123456 will understand your situation.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks @chiarieds for the tag.

Firstly your PIP. Were you refused because the form wasn't received on time or did you have a face to face assessment and then you were refused? Sorry but it's not clear exactly what happened. If i can have some more information then i'll be able to help you further with this.

Your housing situation. You say you rent your home privately but it's can't be adapted, is this because your landlord has refused for aids/adaptions to be done? Have you referred yourself for a needs assessment from your local council? If you haven't then you can start the process by clicking this link. https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services

Waiting lists for a housing association are huge and if you're a single person it's often even more difficult to successfully be housed this way. Adaptions like handrails, perching stools, toilet frames etc can be obtained free by having a needs assessments and they will do what they can to help you. I've recently had one of these in my new home and my landlord has happily agree for all my handrails etc to be installed to help me and this is being done for me on Monday morning.

Your work situation, have you spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments in the work place? The equity act 2010 states that your employer MUST make those reasonable adjustments to help you at work. This link will give you more information about this. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/discrimination-at-work/taking-action/asking-your-employer-for-changes-to-help-if-youre-disabled/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Glad you found us @Ribena. I hope Poppy's been able to help you. If you're able to answer her queries she'll be able to give you better advice.

Hope to see you around! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.