GP are refusing me my medical records — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

GP are refusing me my medical records

Simrob62 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I have copd and arthritis of the spine hips and shoulders. I also suffer with depression. I have got a f2f assessment this Thursday and am a complete wreck. My gp refused to give me my medical records for the last 3yrs since my last assessment has they told me they will send them directly to universal credit them selves. I'm so stressed I feel physically sick. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

    You can request your medical records from your GP and it’s free to receive them. There maybe some medical records that you may not be able to access, it will depend on your conditions. 

    I assume this is a work capability assessment because you mention Universal Credit. Do be aware that they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it’s sent to support your claim. 

    Once you’ve had the assessment, wait a week then contact UC and request a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
  • Simrob62
    Simrob62 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi my gp are still refusing to give me my medical records. To make matters worse I have now received a letter from pip telling me I am due for an assessment and again are asking me for supporting information from my gp.i am at the end of my tethering. Called surgery again. Been told to call back this afternoon.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    Hello @Simrob62. Have they given a reason for refusing? 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • heydarling
    heydarling Member Posts: 5 Listener
    @Simrob62 you're legally entitled to any data held with your name on it under the Data Protection Act.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Simrob62   Please may I suggest you can contact your surgery ask them you interested  in Patients Access.
    Might have another names several ones.
    These are websites et up to you can book appointments, your medications and get prescriptions.
    Would like your medication delivered to your home, then you can access your records from the website.
    There is no charge you have to set it up.
    The surgery will give you passwords. and how to do this.
    If you look on line there are companies who will deliver your meds as well and some you can access your records.
    Please can I also add as you are suffering from depression might be worth looking at support, for the assessment and your mental health.
    I used these .
    Last one is an advocate service helps those with problems with Doctors medical professionals . Supports, speaks on your behalf.
    Any thing like this would be helpful.
    Please ask me if you need anything else.
    I am one of the team of community champions.
    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.