Going on Holiday — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going on Holiday

moonlight
moonlight Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Assessing people for care: I booked break for hubby at a well known company, telephone assessment
going over meds general care etc and highlighting his mobility (We use a stand aid at home)
explaining everything in careful detail 45 minutes: Took him to his holiday for one week 
myself just having a rest at home (Could not afford for myself as payed a lot for hubbies but well worth it) even travelling with our son to visit! No comments were made to us about anything at that call:
when collecting hubby to bring home this staff manager told me that my hubby would not be able to go 
back there on his own! Apparently the staff could not manage him?.....Of course even when writing 
a letter of complaint just fobbed off! and the brass cheek of them that he would be most welcome 
back if I was to stay with him!! What a b word? cheek! What’s the point of that how’s that giving me
his carer a break! Just be doing 5he same thing at the holiday place! and when I asked silly 
question ‘How much for my self’ myself would have to pay for full package: The whole idea
is for respite! So we will never use there holidays again....which brings me back to ‘Tick-box’
as most of what you tell them they ignore anyway! For instance while there for visit I had to ask 
for his mobile phone hence I had to ring office earlier as could not ring him! Seems they couldn’t give a 
care to let my hubby have his phone in his possession: hubby has to be pushed as no mobility at all 
which is very frustrating for him all the more for good sensible carers to understand and to cap it all
very expensive although reduced prices But that should not mean less care!?

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    chuffin ``eck! What a farce!

Respite for him, is respite for you. I`m in the same position and know only too well just how important it is to get it right!
    I`m just going through a big change of how my holidays will be.

For a few years, Direct Payments gave me a pot of money and said `There you go. Spend it how you most benefit from it`.

So I have taken carers and paid for them and me and saved up my spending money. Hubby has had a good rest from looking after me for the majority of the time..night and day!

No more! The powers that be have changed the rules. From now on , that money has to be used for carers accommodation, travel, food, wages and I have to fund my own expenses. What? I cant afford that I told them.

Well then you`ll have to go into nursing homes by yourself for your respite and we`ll use the fund for that.

So more seaside, zoos or proms for me! Just homes the  sick and elderly! Nice!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear this @moonlight! It does sound counterproductive! Did they say why they couldn't manage your husband? Also just wondering which company you used?
    Scope

• moonlight
    Hi Cloethanks reply it was actually Revitalise the price would have been £1440!?
    but well discounted I managed to get our council pay for some of it but at that price 
    I would almost expect one to one with that ‘discount’ care should not be cut! But certainly will never use them again?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear this @moonlight! Have you heard of Limitless Travel? They are a travel company that can provide care while on holiday.
    Scope

• moonlight
    Yes seen the feed for that: actually currently making arrangements for Xmas holiday!
    so much faffing about regarding ‘assessments’! Myself hubby mum and daughter 
    going to a break but making our own arrangements for care!? Our Council 
    Hampshire completely useless I could write a manual or two: it’s only right my husband has independence (which our council don’t seem to agree with) week in a disabled
    caravan during the summer all but 20 miles from where we live, The Council had the audacity to say ‘unusual to make arrangements’ for care! as my husbands right having
    care at home it’s not rocket science to organise care! Several years ago we travelled 
    from another part of the country to Torquay in Devon 250 miles away the council
    at that location did ok organising that sorry to rant on but boy oh boy the hassles 
    we have....thank you for reading.

• Chloe_Scope
    I really hope you all have an amazing time! You certainly deserve it @moonlight. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.