Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Would I lose the LCWRA part of UC?

Mike66Mike66 Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited December 2019 in Universal Credit
Hi,I've recently been awarded PIP enhanced mobility and standard care component back dated to June.im currently in receipt of UC with my partner who works 16+ hours a week and I get LCWRA. I read on your very helpful forum that my partner could claim carers element as well as when we filled out forms for UC we stated that I had a disability and she helped with my care even tho at the time we weren't in receipt of any benefits. But I also read that if she applied for carers element I would lose the LCWRA part of the UC? I'm very confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Great news on the PIP award. I'm a community champion here on scope and i advise others on the complex benefit system.

Yes, your partner can claim the carers element of UC for looking after you. This will give you an extra £160 per month and because you reported they were caring for you at the start of your claim then is should be backdated to the start of your PIP award.

Yes, your partner can receive the carers element as well as you receiving the LCWRA element. This rule only applies if the same person was receiving the LCWRA and the carers element, they can't be awarded to the same person.

Hope this helps.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ladybight4uryladybight4ury Member Posts: 1 Listener
    So how would i go about trying to get my partner on carers please i am waiting to get my assessment letter from pip?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't need your assessment letter because DWP will already know you have a PIP daily living award and UC is part of DWP. You just need to report the changes on your journal.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Mike66Mike66 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thanks for the help.much apreciated 
Sign in or join us to comment.