PIP APPEAL......last minute phone call....!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP APPEAL......last minute phone call....!!

Options
Midas
Midas Community member Posts: 5 Connected
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, I hope I've posted this in the correct part of the forum?

I have had an ongoing PIP appeal for over a year since my PIP assessment in September 2018.
I was awarded the basic mobility, previous to the PIP assessment I was in receipt of full mobility allowance This meant all of a sudden had a substantial drop in my money, and to be honest I was shocked and VERY angry. So I appealed.

So now I jump ahead over 12 months.
I had a date for my appeal in court about 5 weeks ago, as soon as I walked into the hearing I was introduced to three people, a doctor, a disability expert, and for want of a better word Judge. Straight away the Judge told me the hearing was going to be adjourned for more medical evidence. I asked why as when I was being assessed the assessor kept drumming into me that this was not about my medical conditions and was purely about my ability to cope with day to day life. After the stress of over a year waiting for this I pretty much snapped at the hearing, probably no a good idea but I was beside myself due to the fact this had been stressing me out so much. I told them I had just been for an ESA assessment two days earlier, and because both PIP and ESA come under the DWP they should have all the evidence they need as far as the medical side of things goes, and both departments should be communicating with each other as the stress of all this doesn't do people like me and others any good. In fact it on makes our health worse. I then had to go to my doctors and get medical evidence dating back from the beginning of 2017 to present, which I did and sent it to them. I was then sent another hearing date which was five weeks after the original date that had been adjourned.
In the meantime I managed to get to speak to someone at a Welfare Rights office, I gave them a copy of everything and the lady called me about four days later and advised me that I should drop the appeal as she thought It would go against me. To be honest I was dumbfounded at hearing this, I thought about it for a day or so and decided nope, I'm not backing off and was going ahead with the appeal.
So 8.30am the morning of the appeal I get a phone call out of the blue, the person on the other end of the phone informed me they were from either the court or the DWP, I can't remember which exactly as I was pretty much still asleep. I was then informed, and these are their words, do not come for the appeal as it has been "decided in your favour". So, no hearing nothing. That is where I am right now. I called the DWP at just after 9.00am to make sure I hadn't been dreaming and that I really heard what I thought I heard. It was confirmed and I was told a letter would be sent in the next couple of days.
I'm confused, this was not an offer before the hearing, I was just told it had been decided in my favour. I really don't understand how that can happen without me being there. I have no clue what I have been awarded.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening before??

Comments

• dcoo
    dcoo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Midas, omg..I’m so sorry you have been through this ordeal. Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer but hopefully someone will....
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Firstly, hearings are adjourned sometimes for more evidence, if they don't have enough to make a decision.

Yes, people are sometimes offered awards before a hearing takes place or they make a decision without a hearing, if the evidence you sent proves that you should have been award x amount of points. If this happens then there's no need to attend the hearing. If it was DWP rang to tell you then it must have been them who decided, so give them a ring and ask them what the decision is.

In my opinion, this is good news.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @midas,

I have come across this happening several times when I have been to appeals with people! 

In this case it sounds like it has gone in your favour and is the best possible outcome. 
    You will get a decision notice from the court if they have made the award, or a letter from the DWP if they have changed it.

If it is from the DWP and you still don't agree with it you still have a right to appeal. If it is from the court and is not what you expected there is another route of appeal, but hopefully you will not need it!
    Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.