What am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What am I entitled to?

Bryan
Bryan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I’ve recently become disabled and wondered what I’m entitled to to help me financially and day to day living. I’ve just received my blue badge ( of which I can’t use until next Feb???) 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Bryan     Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help members.

Please can I suggest have a look at this links.

https://www.gov.uk.

Please also have a look at our website information, lots of benefits advice.

You could also speak to CAB your local office as for a review of what your entitled to.

Please if I can help with anything further. Please ask some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Becoming disabled doesn't automatically entitle you to claim any benefits. For PIP it depends how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors, it's not about a diagnosis.

Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A claim could potentially take several months, maybe more.

For any other benefits then it totally depends on your circumstances, such as savings/capital, living with partner that works, do you work yourself, if so how many hours etc etc. With such little information it's impossible to give any further advice. I'd recommend a visit to your local advice agency for a full benefits check and they will advise you based on your circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.