Is it worth reapplying? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it worth reapplying?

KamShergill
KamShergill Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi - i applied for PIP earlier this year and got refused.  I have arthritis in both knees which affects me standing for long periods of time, walking etc.  I appealed the decision providing a Consultant letter which details the severity of my pain, and also confirming his support for a Blue Badge.  My appeal also got rejected. I am now suffering more than usual with the pain in my knees.  I get home from work and just sit, my daughter preps my meals and does the laundry.  i do manage to take my own meds and eat on my own.  Do you think it is work me reapplying or will i still get rejected

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KamShergill

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

We have got some great info/advice available for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

Yes you can try to apply again.

If you need any help/support with this please please let me know!!!!!!

steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KamShergill - Welcome to this friendly community from me too. I'm sorry to read about your arthritis, as that's something I suffer too.
    If you are considering re-applying then, if you haven't seen them, it would be a good idea to look at the PIP descriptors carefully, to see where you think you might get points. That my help you decide. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    As you will know, PIP is about how your disability affects you, so re-applying using the same information as you have done this time, may also face a similar rejection. So, please look through the information, & you will see pain mentioned also, which should be taken into account. It's a good idea to describe any problems using a couple of examples illustrating the difficulty you have with any of the relevant descriptors.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

May i ask if you requested the Tribunal after the Mandatory Reconsideration decision remained the same? Most MR decisions remain the same so it's not unusual for people to have to take it to Tribunal. If you didn't may i ask why?

Please have a look at the link above that @chiarieds has posted because it will give you more understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    Hello @KamShergill        :) 

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community. Thank you for reaching out to us, , I am sorry to hear that you are in more pain then usual. I would definitely re-apply again. just remember always put you worse case scenario. when filling in the assessment form,,,,,,, and on the day of the face to face. you will be asked how this affects your  day to day mobility needs or you other needs. 

Both my colleagues have shared  a link that I would advise you to look at . its not just about what you can't do, its also about what you can do. and how often you are in pain for.

also re-apply for the Blue Badge remember worse day Scenario.

We are always here to lend support, help, and advise where we can,

If we can be of any assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact us

@connie00                        :) 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KamShergill and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear about your health struggles and your situation with PIP.  Good luck with re-applying and please keep in touch and let us know how things go.  If there is anything else we can help you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KamShergill and a warm welcome to the community! How are you doing? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.