Personal Injury compensation and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal Injury compensation and benefits

Minton22
Minton22 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi, I was wondering if anybody may be able to advise on the following please?

My partner and I both receive state benefits as i am disabled (my partner is my carer) and have been in receipt of disability benefits for over 20 years.

Last year (Nov 18) we were involved in a road traffic accident that left us both with minor injuries. The occupant of the car that hit us from behind admitted liability.

The defendant insurers have now offered £2800 each to my partner and I solely for pain and suffering. They are paying this directly to us without any requirement for our medical records to be viewed and without the need of a solicitor. The Injuries we sustained were minor and we are not claiming for loss of earnings, only pain and suffering.

The benefits that we were already in receipt of had not been claimed as a result of the accident and were already in payment before hand and have been for at least the last 20 years.

My question is this: will the compensation for pain and suffering affect our benefit payments?

I've tried looking for information about this online but its rather confusing.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• neverendingpain
    neverendingpain Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi there 
    I’m so sorry that you had this extra pain on top of everything.

As far as I’m aware The compensation is not classed as an income therefore it should not affect your benefit payments.

I claimed compensation through a work injury and as a result I couldn’t work so I’m now receiving ESA and PIP.
    when I applied for these the first time I was asked about any savings and because it was under I think £16,000 it didn’t affect any benefits.

you could always ask citizens Advice as I’m sure they will know for sure.

Best wishes 
  • Minton22
    Minton22 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Thanks @neverendingpain,

Sorry, I wasnt clear in my post:
    I meant to ask if anybody has any advice on compensation payments made to those whom are already in receipt of disability benefits and whether the CRU (Compensation recovery unit) will ask the insurers to claim.back any compensation amount to be paid.  We were already in receipt if benefits before the accident happened and we have not  claimed any other benefit as a result of the accident.

Thanks again
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @minton22,

I don't think that you need to worry about the Compensation Recovery Unit.
    As I understand it they would only look at benefits that are paid as a result of the accident, and this would be recovered from the person/insurer who is liable.
    This is explained on the Gov.UK Compensation Recovery Unit  website. 
    Let us know if you have any questions when you have had a look at it.
    You probably know that you will need to tell the DWP if you get a lump sum and your benefits may be affected if you go over £6000. 
    Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.