Welfare Rights — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Welfare Rights

MobileGames Member Posts: 100 Courageous
Morning. Do you have to have a referral to the Welfare Rights? When I rung them they said they don't do appeal representation,yet on their website it says that you can apply for a refferal through a local authority. Is this true? Is the CAB or District Council one? Thank you. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,479 Disability Gamechanger

    No, you don't need a referral from anyone. I advised in a previous thread to you that WR do represent people, infact there's been members on here many times that have had representation from them. There's also a WR adviser that posts on here sometimes and he's be representing people for around 30ish years i believe.
  • MobileGames
    MobileGames Member Posts: 100 Courageous
    @poppy123456. I rang them and was told that they don't do appeals. Springfield mind also said that their funding has been cut. So are they lying? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,479 Disability Gamechanger
    It maybe that particular WR, i have no idea. All i can tell you is they definitely do represent.
  • MobileGames
    MobileGames Member Posts: 100 Courageous
    edited December 2019
    Should I go further a field outside of Warwickshire? Because Warwickshire is naff for resources to do with representation. Bedworth and Nuneaton CAB are being slow and was sent my case in April,was assigned a case worker in July and they've only just started to look at it. They said that there's a lot to look at and will ring in the new year to discuss it and ask me where I think I should have scored points and why. That they can't start to write a letter until I get a Tribunal date. They said a month should be enough. I've since found out that the tribunal only give you 2 weeks notice. Will I be chasing this up just before the tribunal? What if they can't do a letter in time? Or they do one and its rushed? They then said people can work with pip and not everyone's conditions affect them as much. So I said pip is separate to esa. Pip is based on how your conditions affect you and if you can complete the descriptors reliably,safely and in a reasonable time frame. It's not about a diagnosis(they agreed).I then said everybodies conditions affect them differently. When I was working and was reassessed for my DLA the DWP held it against me even though I had a lot support to get into work from a job opportunity person who was sent and put with me to help me (job centre advisor sent them),who helped me with my CV,sat in on the interview and provided a cover letter and got me a microwave so that I could eat my dinner there in order to maintain the job. I went to a Tribunal and won. I said I left work due to my conditions worsening after 7 years. I had a lot of time off in the last year I was there. I feel like they aren't going to be much help. Will it be a repeat of the person that was unhelpful at my local CAB when I went to them for the MR and they put very little,never gave any real life examples as to what happened the last time I tried a descriptor,mind you I didn't know about having to give examples until I came on here,but shouldn't they have been helping me with this? Was I unlucky that I got a gormless person who took ages just to type 5 lines?! I knew it wasn't going well. Perhaps I should've asked for somebody else,but then I only had 2 weeks left after getting in with the local CAB to get the MR done. Another CAB seems to be more helpful and are taking me more seriously and said they'll arrange representation at the tribunal for me. I'm beginning to think that I'm fighting a losing battle. It's going to be a waste of time. I'm going to lose. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,479 Disability Gamechanger
    If they are not in your local area they may refuse to help.  I think you're over thinking this to be honest. You mustn't forget that you are most likely not the only person they are representing. My advice is to wait until you see them in the new year and see what they say then.

    You can't compare the MR to a Tribunal because most MR decisions remain the same, so it was always extremely likely that you would end up at Tribunal after your original decision was made.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Member Posts: 987 Disability Gamechanger
    @Mobilegames - I believe CAB are volunteers and unpaid so you do need to take that into account....
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MobileGames   Please may I suggest the following charity if you experiencing difficulty with a lot of support.

    You mentioned MIND.

    Understand some mental health charities have had problems.

    I would look at this one I used.

    In your areas.


    Please have a look they offer floating support, advice, guidance with benefit issues.

    Well being and support.

    Please if I can help with anything further please ask.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    Mmm, this is an interesting one. Warwickshire Welfare Rights used to be an in house LA service. Many of us faced cuts often based on false information about what we do and don’t do and some services fared better than others in fending this off. Looking at the Warwickshire County Council site suggests that service ceased to exist and the only provision is 3 Citizens Advice. Yet elsewhere we find http://www.wwras.org.uk/ who claim they are funded by WCC. 

    What appears to be going on is that the original WWRAS were an in house first tier organisation i.e. they took direct referrals. I could be wrong but it looks to me like they were outsourced and are now second tier i.e. they’ll only take referrals from other agencies or indeed via WCC itself. Indeed the site says very clearly they represent if “you have a social worker, support worker or similar, or if you contact your local advice agency they can see if you fit our criteria and can refer you if necessary.”

    So, no need to go out of area at all. Indeed if you do you will find you don’t get access to anything. The overwhelming majority of advice services are geographically based. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.