Help! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Hi im very new to this.. asking for help isnt somthing i really do, bt here goes anyway..
my son is severely autistic, non verbal and has learning difficulties, he has been helped for years by a behavior team, bt recently hes gotten obessional,  sometimes he seems low and sad , hes started lashing out at school and has led him being refered to a physiologist , the doc thinks he has anxcity.. weve agreed to try medication.  This has ended up with me being told they can no longer facilitate him in school due to saftey issues... that was 3 weeks ago.. hes not been formally suspended...  the school help a meeting knowing that the behaviour team couldnt attent.. said they needed help with my son, when i talked to a member of the behavior team they said the school hadnt contacted them to say of any issues untill i had been asked to keep him at home

if any 1 has any advice it wuld be greatly appreciated tia x


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mum19    Pleased to meet you.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    Sorry to hear what you are going through.

    I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and support members of our community.

    Please can I advise have you contacted this organisation.

    National Autistic Society

    Helpline 020 7833 2299

    Please can I also advise with your sons anxiety needs to have specialist help.

    Using mental health charities many have support, welfare and can help be supportive with your sons issues, problems.

    I am surprised the Doctor you have did not do this, many charities accept clientele with disabilities, conditions well offer a lot of relevant information.

    With those have mental health.

    Last one is an advocate charity speaks on your sons behalf any mental health issues.

    Please if I can help with anything further please get in touch.

    Happy to be supportive, offer compassion and empathy.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Mum19

    Welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear what you and your son are experiencing at the moment. Your son has a right to education as much as any child, so if the school feel they can't meet his needs they need to put alternative provision in place by working with you and your local council. This could be a tutor at a local hub or looking for a different setting. Does your son have an Educational and Health Care Plan (EHCP)?

    Scope have a section that provides advice on school support and EHCP's which may be helpful to read, .

    As well as this you can find out who your local Special Educational Need and Disability Information and Advice Service (SENDIAS) or Parent Partnership Service (PPS) are, you can do this via a Google search. They can provide you further information and guidance on yours and your sons rights in school and in some cases can provide advocacy support for you.

    Another organisation that may be helpful to contact and provides information on Special Educational Need and Disability (SEND) is the Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA). 

    I hope this helps x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mum19 and a very warm welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, it cannot have been easy, How are things at the moment?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.