Home assessment PIP - no one turned up! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home assessment PIP - no one turned up!

Options
Shohna
Shohna Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello everyone, 
Well the title says it all ...
I was told by the DWP to change from DLA to PIP, and thankfully offered a home assessment (with my physical difficulties and responsibilities it literally takes minute planning to get out anywhere!).
The home assessment was meant for 10am yesterday (Mon 16th Dec) but no one turned up. No phone call to say they were late, couldn’t make it etc.
i waited two hours and then emailed Capita.
No response.
So as they employ capita i emailed DWP today ,...still waiting.
As you can imagine I’m not only annoyed (polite version) but am getting seriously worried.

So my questions are: 
Has this happened to anybody here before?
Does anyone know who to contact to find out what’s going on (actual contact details)?
What do I do if no one bothers to answer my emails?
What will happen to my application? 

Hope someone has some idea of what I should do next (because I have zero support network and am at a loss)

Merry Yule/Xmas to everyone  :)

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, and seasons greetings, why didn't you ring the assessment company about the no show? I am sure the number is on the notification letter. The DWP have nothing to do with the assessment companies except requesting assessments are done and reports returned for awards to be given. How, where, when or why you had no show is the responsibility of the assessment company not DWP. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I agree with wilko here, i'd advise you to first ring the health assessment providers to ask what happened. I've heard stories where the HCP has actually gone to the wrong address or knocked at the wrong door. If this is what's happened then they may think that you weren't at home and your file could be returned to DWP and you maybe refused PIP for failing to attend. If this happens then your DLA will stop.

Once you've rang them and have more details, if the worst has happened then you'll need to ring DWP.

I definitely wouldn't recommend emailing anyone it this situation because you need to sort it ASAP.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shohna
    edited December 2019
    Options
    wilko said:
    Hello, and seasons greetings, why didn't you ring the assessment company about the no show? I am sure the number is on the notification letter. The DWP have nothing to do with the assessment companies except requesting assessments are done and reports returned for awards to be given. How, where, when or why you had no show is the responsibility of the assessment company not DWP. 
    I haven’t phoned because i had brain surgery a few months ago and one of the side effects is needing time to process what’s said - and have found people/strangers don’t respond well to my having that difficulty on the phone.

Initially i used the email addrsss Capita gave on their interview letter, and only emailed DWP today because they contract out to Capita (so in my estimation if Capita are not doing their job properly surely DWP should be told so). 

Merry Xmas  :)
  • Shohna
    Options
    Hi,

I agree with wilko here, i'd advise you to first ring the health assessment providers to ask what happened. I've heard stories where the HCP has actually gone to the wrong address or knocked at the wrong door. If this is what's happened then they may think that you weren't at home and your file could be returned to DWP and you maybe refused PIP for failing to attend. If this happens then your DLA will stop.

Once you've rang them and have more details, if the worst has happened then you'll need to ring DWP.

I definitely wouldn't recommend emailing anyone it this situation because you need to sort it ASAP.

Good luck.
    As I mentioned above poppy since my surgery a few months ago (brain tumour) one of side effects is needing time  to process what’s said ...and on phone that makes trying to get my point of view across very difficul. I don’t have any support anywhere so email is my only option atm. 
    Thanks for your input tho 

merry Xmas  :)
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi@Shohna.
     This happened to me in 2017. From the advice I had here I rang DWP and Capita. Capita were most unhelpful but the DWP were satisfied that the mistake was at there end as their description of the address attended was of a red door, ours are green, so they rescheduled without any problem. I would advise you to telephone DWP without delay explain you have had no response from Capita and ask them to look into it.
    With me, the gentleman on the DWP side pulled up the google Street View and was satisfied that the error was not mine. Don’t leave it too long. If necessary send them a copy of your email. Capita would not have responded till the next day as they wouldn’t know until the assessor got back to the base why he/she failed to turn up at yours. Good luck.
        Debsidoo.x
  • Shohna
    Options
    Glad to hear you got yours sorted fairly easily debsidoo.

Well quick update for mine:

Capita have given me new home assessment date (3 days after Xmas). 

So it seems emails can work (hurrah)....Apparently all my emails were “picked up” after I’d emailed a complaint to DWP. Hmm really!?

I did get a apology and told no one turned up because they’re “inundated”. Obviously too busy to let people know they won’t turn up as well ! 

Fingers crossed someone turns up after Xmas and it all goes smoothly. At least now I can breathe a little more easily knowing the application is back on track.

Merry Yule/Christmas to you all :-)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.