Hi, my name is WendyTDV! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is WendyTDV!

Options
WendyTDV
WendyTDV Community member Posts: 1 Listener
All my life my body has hurt. I bruise easily and my bones ache. It began with an ache n my left arm when I was a child and my dad said it was growing pains and I'd think that my left arm would grow longer than my right arm if that were the case. In 1973 I had a horse riding accident and broke three vertebrae and slipped two discs. In 1982 a car crash left me with double vision and tinnitus, in 1983 I came off a moped and smashed my right knee on the road do now if I kneel down I need help to get up again as there is no leverage in that knee. I am 64 years old. I have a faulty heart valve  thatI was born with that causes chest pain when I walk too fast. I used to get sciatic every three months till I had two cortoson injections that stopped it but left me with a left leg that aches constantly, and I have athritis in my left hip and lower back. All this and doctors say I am not disabled. What do you say?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @WendyTDV - Welcome to this online community, & thank you for joining. Well, I always say you know you're own body best! In my own case I remember my Mum saying that Drs had said I had growing pains as a child....possibly what Drs said way back then, when in reality they just didn't know, unfortunately.
    Altho' I have a genetic disorder that has resulted in generalised osteoarthrosis, combined with chronic neuropathic pain, I don't consider myself disabled, altho' it affects my mobility & everything else!
    I think life has thrown rather a lot at you, resulting in the combination of difficulties you now face. If you struggle with daily activities, & mobility, you might consider applying for the Personal Independence Payment. There's some information here on Scope about it. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/benefits/personal-independence-payment/

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @WendyTDV and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about your health.  It does sound as though you have been through an awful lot.  

You will receive lots of support and friendship on the forum so please chat to us anytime you need to.  There will always be someone here to listen.  People are so friendly and supportive on here.  I hope you enjoy your time with us and I look forward to seeing you on here.  If there is anything you need help/support with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community @WendyTDV. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.