Schools — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Schools

Poppy12
Poppy12 Community member Posts: 66 Connected
edited February 2020 in Education
My son has emotional and emotional issues and getting a educational health care plan. There's nothing wrong with his leaning just he don't like to much people in. The classroom it's not forever moving schools I hope. But it comes with finding and transport. So about 3 weeks he will be leaving the school but when he goes back it will be just for an hour I think it's ridiculous and I'm not doing it the school can't even managed his needs totally useless 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Poppy12   Pleased to meet you.

I am one of the team of community champions.

Please may I suggest contact the following mental health charities.

These are ones I used myself.

https://www.richmondfellowship.og.uk.

Telephone  020 7697 3300

https://www.mind.org.uk.

Telephone 0300 123 3393

https://www.rethink.org.

Telephone 0121 522 7007

I know they do and support clientele through many issues . Including things like this.

Floating support outreach workers help, guidance advice with your sons issues.

I used the first charity supported me at places of employment and jobcentres, rehab and other places need some understanding.

Last one rethink very useful.  Advocate service.

Appoints some one to speak for your son or you and attends any mental health consultations or NHS mental health services.

One more is Barnardo's offers a lot of guidance  advice for children going through a lot of problems.

https://www.barnardos.org.uk.

Helpline 020 8550 8822

I have a lot of knowledge of my own issues be happy to offer compassion, empathy.

Please contact me if you need to ask anything else.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Poppy12, just wanted to check in to see how things were going, :)
    Scope

• Poppy12
    Hi.not good I'm afraid. My son has emotional and social problems now has been again got a fix day exclusion from school and this week might peremently exclude him. They just don't want him there. The local authority trying to find him a school and we are going through the educational health care plan it will take 5 months and my son could be at home all that time. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Poppy12, I'm really sorry to hear that. It must be so frustrating that he is not getting the support and you are fighting against the school.

IPSEA might be able to offer you more guidance.
    Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (known as IPSEA) is a registered charity (number 327691) operating in England. IPSEA offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). We also provide training on the SEND legal framework to parents and carers, professionals and other organisations.
    Please do let us know how you get on! 
    Scope

• jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @Poppy12
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with the schools. Main stream schools can be difficult to deal with in regards to meeting the needs of children with additional needs .

Can I just ask do you have education health care plan in place?

Also there is a place called solar that help children with mental health. They would be useful to contact and they can offer you further support.

Please let me know how you get on. I really hope there is some progression with schooling for your son
    Beat wishes 
    Jade 

• Poppy12
    Yes going through the educational health care plan and they say they won't get a school till it finishes in 20 weeks but my son is only at school for an hour each day so hard work me and my husband really stressed 
  • jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @Poppy12

I can understand your frustration and it is a very long winded process.
    Being away from school or doing shortened hours of course isn't helping your son or you as parents. Unfortunately main stream school lack the understanding and aren't staffed enough to be able to cope with children with additional needs. 
    Having the ehcp plan will help massively though as your son has already been assessed in terms of needing additional help. I would contact the guys I told you about earlier at "solar" and they can write you reports also once they have assessed your son that should help towards placing him in a school suited to him. 
    Do you have a pediatrician you can contact? As theh may also be able to help speed things along.
    I really hope you find some answers and that your son can get the schooling and help that he so wells deserves.
    Keep going mamma your doing fantastic! ♡
    Best wishes 
  • Poppy12
    Thankyou. It's getting worse at school as my son hit a teacher over the head with a bin. I can't believe it. He can't even handle an hour sometimes I'm seeing my gp tonight and telling him about it 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Poppy12, this sounds very stressful for you! How did it go with the GP? I hope they were understanding.
    Scope

• Poppy12
    Went to my gp he said its extremely hard to refer children to cahms he's getting refereed to see a pieditrition and given medication to get him to sleep. Plus he's been agreed for the educational health care 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope the other appointments go well @Poppy12 and that's great to hear about the EHCP. :)
    Scope

• Poppy12
    Thanks. He's been agreed to the assessment. Just waiting to hear about schools and I'm doing my own. Digging as know one else seems to be bothered much 
  • Poppy12
    How can I apply for dla for him 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,331 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy12 said:
    How can I apply for dla for him 

This question was answered on your other thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/68890/dla#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.