Kids Causing Trouble — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Kids Causing Trouble

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
Just had kids kicking a football up the side of my house, think then it must have come over the front gate into the front garden. The front gate is permanently locked as I dont use it. So can hear them then trying to wrench the gate open. They didnt call out to me or anything. Now they've been round the back and taken a piece of trellis. All this just happened, so it's dark out there. Very dark as I'm rural. Must be local kids. Had trouble with kids when I first moved here nearly 15 years ago and that went on for ages. The police were always up here and it made the local paper. Just hope history not repeating itself. 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh how frustrating @Franstrahan!

Can you send photos to your local council or not? Just this afternoon I saw a dead bird in a carpark whilst my partner was parking so I snapped a photo on my phone and sent it to the council via their website. It had blood and lay there motionless.

The poor bird was hit by a car. Photos do help I have found that. Take as many as you need to prior to reporting. I have a feeling that you can also sell this as a human interest feature for full impact as well. Try keeping a diary of future incidents for peace of mind too.

Jot down any details of encounters from now on so you can accurately report to the police. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hopefully not but it might be worth having a quiet word with the police, do you know who the "kids"belong to?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bettahm
    @April2018mom
    @woodbine
    This is actually the second incident. They were booting a football against the wall of my house weeks before Christmas. Tonight's incident a bit more of a concern as they've actually taken something, the trellis. Think you are right @April2018mom about writing it down, just in case they keep this up. No @woodbine unfortunately I dont know whose they are. I think 3 strikes and they're out. Once more and I'll report it. Kicking a football against someones house after dark is only being done to annoy anyway. Will go out the front at daylight and expect to find the ball out there somewhere. And I suppose check that nothing else is damaged.
  • Rjb1982
    Rjb1982 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    hi franstrahan
    i have a simalir problem myself with kids casing mayhem but the mother and father in my area seemed to let kid play outside my flat  during thr summer months anf these four kids scream there heads off i contacted my council but nothing happen my counicl said to contact the police about my problem,. have you though sbout talking to the paents of the kids just to warn them that this is happpening to you but i understand that you are getting annoyed but maybe try and say something to someone that can speak for you because this is an idea  but good luck
  • Bettahm
    @Rjb1982
    Hi, I dont know who the parents are. Never seen the kids as they do this after dark. Have heard them, and they're teenagers. When it all happened years ago talking to local council did nothing, talking to parents did nothing except cause fights and more trouble, and the police said they could do nothing without a witness. But that was then and this is now. So hoping this time it's going to blow itself out. All those years back there was constant harassment and damage to property,  long story. That's why if this continues will go to police sooner rather than later.
  • Bettahm
    Ok I've been round the front expecting to find their football. Nothing. So why try to wrench the front gate open? The gate is attached to the house, so they probably dont realise the noise that causes in here. Why are they trying to get in. They took the trellis from the top of the hand gate at the back of the house. That gate is bolted but you can reach over easily and undo. They couldn't have seen that in the dark. 
    I dont really need all this. One more incident and it's the police.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Good. It will help when they want to see proof. If you think you are in danger, call 999 immediately do not hesitate. Are you in supported living or not? 
  • Bettahm
    @April2018mom
    No not in supported living. Anything happens this evening, its 999. It is scary as on my own and at least 2 teenage kids out there and the thought that I could open the back door to my garden and they could be out there. Sat in the dark for a while yesterday evening hoping switching the lights off might make them go away. They did eventually give up but not sure what time they took the trellis.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    We`ve lived in our bungalow 30 years. When we first moved in we had trouble with kids from across the road. They used to lark about, but became troublesome by coming down our drive and tried to get into our motorhome. Hubby chased them off. But it became a game for them and a nightmare for us. It went on for weeks....throwing stones at our windows. I rang police and they said `Go indoors, draw your curtains. Don't antagonise them`. Cheek!

I rang to complain about the call handler`s attitude and was told no such incident had been received!

I lodged formal complain and a lovely bobby came...Took details and went into estate the kids lived. We had no further trouble!

It`s horrible when you can`t relax in your own home.

Take care chick xxx
  • Bettahm
    @pollyanna1052
    Think the memory of all that happened here when I first moved in has not helped in this incident. Had to let my dogs out last thing. It had been hours since the incident. I put the outside light on and went out (probably shouldn't say this) with a knife to check no one in the garden. Then let the dogs out. Probably nothing will happen tonight. They've had their fun.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Not a great idea to have a knife.......

• Bettahm
    @pollyanna1052
    No, but only for my protection, just in case.
    Nothing happened last night. Let's hope it stays that way. 999 if it doesn't.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Franstrahan
    Hopefully they'll leave you alone tonight and it won't be an on-going issue. It might be worth you reporting it to the police anyway (101) and they may be able to send a car around this evening to check on the local kids, they are pretty good with that and are liable to break up any groups of kids. Plus, if you report it now, it will carry more weight if you have to report an incident at a later date or need to call them in an emergency situation.
    It's really important you don't try to take the law into your own hands. I know you've said the knife is for your protection, but if you were to hurt one of them, however unfair it might be, you would be the one to get in trouble. Plus, I'd be concerned that if an incident did arise, someone could get hold of the knife and use it against you. However, don't hesitate to call 999 if you think you're in danger.

Fingers crossed it was an isolated event and you'll have a peaceful evening and have a good start to the New Year. Please keep us updated. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for the advice Adrian. I'm hoping it was a one-off and not like the trouble I had when I first moved in here that went on for ages.
    Theres actually been two incidents but the one the other night was more concerning as they tried to get onto the property even knowing full well I was in here.
    Nothing last night. And so far all quiet tonight. I will ring 101 then, as soon as anything else happens.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How was the rest of the evening @Franstrahan
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    @Adrian_Scope
    Nothing. Hopefully this is a good sign, but I'm staying cautious after dark because of what happened years ago. So one more incident and it's the police. Nip it in the bud.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hope it doesn't happen again @Franstrahan!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    So do I. I dont know who these kids are. At least when it happened years ago I knew who was doing it. Not that it helped solve anything.
    A friendly reminder after the holidays. I still cant click thru from emails. And I dont always get an email when someone has replied to something. Or is that solved by something in settings?
    Thanks, and Happy 2020!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, you can change your notification settings here: https://community.scope.org.uk/profile/notifications 

I hope this helps!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    It wont let me sign in at that address, maybe part of the other problem.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.