Coping with emotions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coping with emotions

Options
Steph61
Steph61 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi... Struggling atm.. I have my own health issues and disabilities and am struggling to cope with my sister's newly diagnosed progressive muscle wasting condition. Really finding it hard to watch her with all her mobility problems and deterioration. I have not got the same illness as her and have already lost 2 siblings to it.
Any suggestions as to how to cope with all these emotions.
Thanks x

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Steph61 and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. We  have a very supportive community here, who are good at listening and sharing their own ways of coping with issues. We also  understand the need to vent sometimes.

Do you have someone you can be open with and get support without being judged? If not you might find it helpful to ask your doctor if you can be referred to a talking therapy, either group or one to one. If you find you need to just talk to someone but no one is available don't forget the Samaritans are there to listen and support you as well. Tel: 116 123 it is a free call.

Sorry I cannot offer more advice on this, my way of dealing with these type of emotions is to bottle them up until they disappear, it never really does and usually there is a kickback at some point.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Steph61 and a very warm welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear how difficult things are for you at the moment, it certainly does not sound easy. You are doing incredibly well.

Have you ever had counselling? This might give you the chance to get things off your chest and give you a safe space to discuss the things that are worrying you. Here are the ways in which you can access counselling.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.