LCWRA & WCA - Experiences and Advice regarding Agoraphobia, Descriptors and Appeals — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA & WCA - Experiences and Advice regarding Agoraphobia, Descriptors and Appeals

ucwcalcwra
ucwcalcwra Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I suffer from PTSD and Agoraphobia. My WCA is tomorrow and I'm really nervous.
At my last WCA 12m ago I scored 15 points for LCW but didn't fit a descriptor for RA.
My mental health is worse this time around and I feel that not being placed in the RA category will be detrimental to my mental health and cause it to tailspin.
I believe I fit into the descriptor that social engagements "are always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the claimant". My phobia has meant I haven't left my house in two years and I'm really apprehensive to attend tomorrow, especially since I have no-one who can accompany me. It's essential for me however that I'm placed into the support category I need to be in so attending is a necessity.
Does anyone have any experiences or advice regarding agoraphobia and WCA assessments, having to attend something like this without a support person, advice on the descriptor I'm hoping to meet or your experience appealing decisions ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I'm not sure what the " RA category" is, sorry. I do know that for mental health the the main entry into the Support Group (LCWRA) is substantial risk, which is reg 35 for ESA, A different regulation for UC but it's exactly the same thing. Details of that is here and you will need to scroll down the link to find it.  https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/resources/article/making-exception

More details for substantial risk here. https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra

Going to an assessment alone if you suffer from mental health can go against you as it has been known in the past. Unfortunately, you will need to attend otherwise you could be found fit for work for failing to attend. All you can do is attend and try to answer those questions as best as you can.

Once you've had the assessment wait a week and contact DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ucwcalcwra! I hope @poppy123456's advice is helpful and I wish you all the best of luck for tomorrow. Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• ucwcalcwra
    ucwcalcwra Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi both, The WCA was yesterday and it was as difficult for me as I imagined but I'm happy its over. I arrived 10 minutes early but had to wait 40 minutes to be seen. It was very distressing but the assessment didn't last too long and the nurse I saw was supportive. I went into my difficulties leaving the house, how my condition affects me and how difficult it has been having to be in the WRAG grouping this past year. Hopefully I get placed in the correct category this time around, but thank you still for your advice.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm sorry the assessment was difficult for you @ucwcalcwra. I hope you receive a decision quickly and that they find in your favour. Best of luck and please let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.